The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tips, Tricks and Techniques for a Memorized Deck - All stack independent (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
"Tips, Tricks and Techniques for a Memorized Deck - All stack independent" is from now on also usable with MAC computers.
For further informations: please only via PM.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
"Tips, Tricks and Techniques for a Memorized Deck - All stack independent" is from now on also usable with MAC computers.
For further informations: please only via PM.

Folks,

I have to tell you that I was privileged to get a peek at the Beta build of this and I can say unreservedly that is really is an essential tool for anyone who works with memdecks or those who want to dive in.

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in this, only lending a comment on what I believe is a superb tool.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
On the 15th of June, the price will be raised to 35 euro.
http://www.maigret.org/start.html
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Any contentlist, I wonder what I get if I buy that ebook.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2014, Kjellstrom wrote:
Any contentlist, I wonder what I get if I buy that ebook.

http://www.maigret.org/7main.html
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I am assuming that there is only a single one-time charge for a product that will be ongoing and constantly updated. If such assumption is correct, this looks like a really excellent product and value. Is such the case here?

That said, I do have two issues regarding Waterloophai's unusual preregistration information requirement:

1. The three pieces of personal sensitive information being required by Waterloophai (i.e., DOB, place of birth and mother's surname) along with the purchaser's full name is precisely the information that would appear on a person's Birth Certificate (and be stored at his State's Department of Vital Statistics) and which would appear on his most sensitive financial and personal records. Such information is the type of information that a person would need to attempt to apply for new credit cards, conduct credit transactions, be on his medical records and also be on his driver's licenses, passports and other state-issued identity documents. As such, this is precisely the type of information most sought-after and valued by hackers and identity thieves. I would never ever provide this type of identity information online.

I know of no major financial institutions, medical service providers, large retailers, governmental agencies, etc. that would even dare think of requesting such personal sensitive information be provided to them over the Internet. And these are the companies with huge IT departments and Internet Security departments! None of them want to take the risk of having such requested information hacked during transmission, etc.

2. Additionally, I may be incorrect in my understanding but, to me, it appears that the requested information would be transmitted to a non-https reistration site page (i.e., http://www.maigret.org/buy2.php ). As I understand it, https sites are designed to receive encrypted small packets of information and seem to be the (preferrred? only?) standard security site protocol used when going online, providing credit card and personal information and purchasing an item. That said, perhaps Waterloophai's above registration page URL is in fact an encrypted and secure URL. (Waterloophai, what is the situation here?)

Query: If the pre-registration page is, in fact, an unencrypted URL page, could a hacker gain access to a purchaser's computer (and his actual information) by going backwards from that site page? I don't know the answer to that question. Perhaps some Café members familiar with IT, Internet protocols and Internet Security would be so kind as to answer this question.

Solutions?

A possible stopgap registration alternative might be for Waterloophai to require non-consequential personal subjectiveregistration information..such as "Who is your favorite magician"? What is your favorite magic book"? What is your favorite snack food". Etc.

Another possible stopgap registration alternative might be for a purchaser to not provide truthful answers to the requested personal sensitive information questions. Is such alternative is acceptable and you, as a purchaser, decide to employ this strategy, just remember to write down your answers so that you can retrieve that information for Waterloophai as needed and requested by him (i.e. every time you logged in to his site?)). Who knows, henceforth I might be known as Henry Potter, born in Hogswart, England on 01/01/2001, with a mother named Ima Potter. (grin)

In summary, in reviewing the table of contents page ( http://www.maigret.org/7main.html ), I can see that Waterloophai put a lot of thought and effort into this product and the memorized deck areas covered are very exhaustive. Kudos to him for that effort. This product looks really good and worthwhile and Vlad_77s recommendation carries a lot of weight with me. So, if I can satisfy myself that I can minimize the risk of having my actual personal identity information compromised and laid out for potential identity theft of same, and assuming that this product only carries a one-time charge (and no monthly, annual or per-use fees), my present intent is to purchase this product.

Mike

P.S. One final question: I might be changing ISPs (and email addresses) in the near future. Is this product transferable to a purchaser's subsequent email address(es)?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2014, Turk wrote:
I am assuming that there is only a single one-time charge for a product that will be ongoing and constantly updated. If such assumption is correct, this looks like a really excellent product and value. Is such the case here?

That is indeed the case.

Regarding the (private) information that you have to give, you have a point.
I admit that I didn't thought on possible misuse of this information. Although I don't see immediately the possibility. I keep that information only on my computer and nowhere on the web. (I think I mentioned that in the trailer). My initial line of thought was to ask questions that the user knew by heart and that he thus not had to keep somewhere.
With your post I understand that some people can have reservations to give such information. Particularly in a time that one has to be very careful with giving away information on the net.
I must admit that I have not given enough attention to that matter.
I can assure you that from my side there was no intent for misuse if you have read my professional background in the chapter "Who am I?" Smile.
However, as I wrote already here above, you have a valid point.

In the next days I will change the questions into impersonal ones like you have suggested.
I am very busy for the moment, so that can last some days.
In the meanwhile everyone is of course free to fill in what he wants (it has not to be true) in the section "security questions". (as long as you remember them)
Because I have with several users a rather intense email exchange about ideas, proposals etc. it would be however very pleasant if you would give at least your real name. It's a little odd to have conversations with Donald Duck Smile.

Of course that you can change from ISP and email address (it would be very sad if you couldn't). What to do in that case, is explained in the chapter "FAQ's" once you purchased the web-eBook.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
... just remember to write down your answers so that you can retrieve that information for Waterloophai as needed and requested by him (i.e. every time you logged in to his site?)).

Forgot to answer that one.
In 99,99% of the cases, you will never have to give an answer to one of the security questions.
All you have to give to enter the web-eBook is a login and a password that is given to you when you purchased the eBook.
The security questions are only needed if I suspect that the eBook is not used by someone who didn't purchase it.
Hope that helps.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
"I can assure you that from my side there was no intent for misuse if you have read my professional background in the chapter "Who am I?" Smile.
However, as I wrote already here above, you have a valid point. "

Hi, Danny.

I never suspected or thought that you might intentionally misuse a purchaser's personal information. If my post caused such a thought to enter your mind (or other peoples' minds), I am truly sorry and sincerely apologize if such an implication might have resulted. Rather, as you have suggested, I believed that you might be an Internet IT neophyte and, as such, I felt that you might have not thought through the possible consequences of requiring such personal information being required and transmitted.

The motivation for my asking such questions was that I have been the victim of identity theft...and the consequences of such can be a nightmare...and on-going. I know of one confirmed ID theft and, because of it, I'm not certain if I was the victim of a 2nd ID theft...or whether or not the resultant (ongoing?) occurrences are just the results from that known ID theft. AARGH!.

Thank you for so promptly deciding to change your registration questions and protocol. I look forward to the promised registration changes, and, while I am not an Internet IT guy, I am hoping that such changes will be sufficient and that you would not have to also create an "https" URL for the registration and payment activities.

I'm really looking forward to purchasing this mem deck Internet streaming service. It sounds to be a great idea whose time has come. The Table of Contents is evidence of your dedication and passion to this product and mem deck work. You are to be congratulated for such efforts.

Best,

Mike

P.S. I am terrible at remembering things like artificially created usernames and passwords. Will subscribers be able to enter a "My Account" section to change their username and password to something more familiar to them and easier to remember? Not a deal-breaker if not able to be done, but it would be nice to be able to do such.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
P.S. I am terrible at remembering things like artificially created usernames and passwords. Will subscribers be able to enter a "My Account" section to change their username and password to something more familiar to them and easier to remember? Not a deal-breaker if not able to be done, but it would be nice to be able to do such.

Hi Mike,
I'll PM you.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Security questions changed into impersonal ones.
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
I enrolled last week and would definitely recommend this site.
Not only for the memdeck tricks. Waterloophal provides useful tips and extensive references.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Waterloophai,
Hi. Most websites these days use just email address and password as identifying items. Just for convenience, I avoid any sites that require other than that. Oddly enough, this very Café is an exception to that with a unique user-id and password. I think that websites that aren't with the program of email and pwd are behind the times.

Also, I went to your website and it was too difficult to navigate. Are you offering a product or building an impenetrable prison?

My suggestion is: don't let your background unduly influence your decisions.

I'm out, because this just seems more complex than it need be.

KJ
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
1KJ,
If you think that it is more complex than it need to be, then you took the right decision. I respect that.
I (and some others Smile ) think it is not complex at all. Please respect that too.
Let us be happy that we can differ from opinion.
Regards,
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I recently enrolled and have already found this to be extremely useful. If you're into memdeck work, and I assume you are if you're reading this thread, then You should give this a look. Lots of good information and well presented. Glad I took the plunge.👏👏👏
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
Waterloophai,
Hi. Most websites these days use just email address and password as identifying items. Just for convenience, I avoid any sites that require other than that. Oddly enough, this very Café is an exception to that with a unique user-id and password. I think that websites that aren't with the program of email and pwd are behind the times.

Also, I went to your website and it was too difficult to navigate. Are you offering a product or building an impenetrable prison?

My suggestion is: don't let your background unduly influence your decisions.

I'm out, because this just seems more complex than it need be.

KJ

I just joined this morning and have only so far had just a chance to go into and do a look around. But I didn't find it all that difficult to navigate around.
I am happy for something like this , I have a couple ideas I won't mind sharing once I have had time to make certain somebody else's hasn't came up with.

But I think comparing this to an "impenetrable prison" is rather a bit much.

With that said, I am just voicing my own opinion .
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, Waterloophai wrote:
1KJ,
If you think that it is more complex than it need to be, then you took the right decision. I respect that.
I (and some others Smile ) think it is not complex at all. Please respect that too.
Let us be happy that we can differ from opinion.
Regards,

Yes, I agree with you. Perhaps it will be better for those who choose to participate as it might be more exclusive. Best of luck to you.

KJ
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
This site is Amazing! I would highly recommend it for anyone interested in Mem Deck work. Really great information and resource. Mem Deck Heaven.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
Hm...site doesn't work Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On May 3, 2019, macc wrote:
Hm...site doesn't work Smile

Works fine for me...
Have you subscribed? It's not a free website, but it's worth every cent ...

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Tips, Tricks and Techniques for a Memorized Deck - All stack independent (17 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL