The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » On audience obedience (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SilentScReaM
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of SilentScReaM
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, oscarf wrote:
I apologize in advance for acting like a know-it-all, but I have to comment on what just happened here, and SilentScReaM, I sincerely mean no disrespect, and I know the language barrier makes it more difficult. I admire you for seeking answers and for participating vigorously.

But, as you may know, Pop Haydn took a great old trick, the Chicago Opener, and examined it in just the way he was speaking of, that is, asking the questions HOW exactly is the effect weak or strong, WHAT exactly sells it better, and what weakens it, exactly what? The exact details. The answers he found in Chicago Opener led him to create probably the world's greatest card opener, the Chicago Surprise, among many other things.

It's easy to read some posts as "just words" and there we fall prey to the same sort of elision and generalization that blinds us to improving a trick, or audience management, or entertainment value. There is no successful professional in any field who has not agonizingly dissected every minute detail of his or her art/craft/science in order to master it and to build upon it.

Some of the greatest magicians in the world participate in this forum, not least of whom is Pop Haydn. When he speaks, I listen. I would suggest that even if it hurts the brain, that we try to pay attention to what he said above - particularly to the principles he illustrated. He just shared one of the keys to his enormous success!

Anyway, he also respected your wish for something different from "how to think" advice, which is better than I'm doing here, but I can't help it. Sometimes if you know what someone has accomplished, it adds enough weight to what they say that it can penetrate the resistance to knowledge that we all struggle with in this life!

I've seen his chicago opener video before, and I agree it's a great routine, he uses very economic sleights to achieve one more psychological transportation than regular chicago opener which is very impressive. And in another layer, he assume his audience pay full attention to his performance and respect his audience as intelligent individual, the first time "color gag" seems legit, but using it one more time would feel cheap which is his routine avoided.

I've been in magiccafe for 7 years since my register, so I do know there are many masters here. But still, if you ask me to think or perform, and I've already do my job and tried to push as far as I CAN, then tell me to think more is futile (and in fact I'm always doing it and I just went here asking if people would like to share some experience or procedure on audience obedience). Maybe I'm just not at that level yet. At least for me, it's not a right direction (or not a new way that I'm not aware of).
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Hopefully others will continue to chime in with ideas!

Thanks for the response, and I'm glad you like Pop's routine as much as I do!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » On audience obedience (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL