The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Liability Waiver - Where's that leave us? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
Performing at a festival and have been asked to sign a liability waiver. Standard stuff, I understand.

But, I have liability insurance to protect me in case I damage their property. Now I sign something saying they aren't responsible if they damage mine, or even injure me.

So, where does this leave me in case something happens? What kind of insurance am I looking for to protect my own wellbeing at a show?

And given that I'm signing this waiver, is it standard practice to ask for some kind of verification that the stage they use is being put up correctly, has been inspected, etc? Are there other things that I should worry about/ask about in this regards?

I'm not actually worried about this particular event. It's just the first time I've been asked to sign such a waiver, and it made me wonder... well, where's that leave me/us?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I think if its all one way traffic to suit them, I wouldn't sign it.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I was asked to perform at a mall and they gave me same kind of liability waiver to sign. What scared me is what scares you: They are not liable if anything happens to me.

I declined signing it and declined the show.

You never know what will happen and giving yourself no recourse of something happens is not smart.

I'm not an attorney but I am smart enough to know that something could happen to me and I don't want to give up my rights.

Josh
Josh
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Call your insurer and ask them about this.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Ross, insurance people are not the same as attorneys. It'd be wiser to call an attorney. But of it's already leaving a bad taste in your mouth don't do it.

Josh
Josh
PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
I spoke with a lawyer about this a week ago -- casually, as it was a friend's fiancee.

This is apparently quite standard, and just part of the territory.

I'm still looking into it though, and figuring out what I need to insure myself personally.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Your insurance is to protect you, the waiver is to protect them.

Sounds fair to me. Smile

To protect yourself you need insurance. Then you covered.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do have experience with waivers. The waiver will protect them if your insurance fails to cover you. Yes, waivers are standard business with many.

Still, waivers are good but it's not a guarantee that you can't sue them if something happens and it wasn't your fault. A wavier doesn't give them permission to put you in harms way.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Talk to a lawyer on the clock.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I've never been asked to sign a waiver, but I am frequently asked for a copy of my liability insurance. That seems more than reasonable. Occasionally, the client says I have to add them to my insurance as additional insured. I'm happy to do that as well, but I pass the expense on to the client. (I don't pay for other people's insurance.)
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I once saw this happen with my own eyes. I was at a reception in a hotel. There was a professional DJ there with professional equipment. He did his job well. He was stationed on risers that provided by the hotel that were about 2 feet high (my guess.) At one point, the legs of one riser folded under it, and the large speaker on it, fell to the floor. The speaker was damaged in the fall. How severely I can't say. It may have been a $10 wiring fix, or a total loss; I don't know. The DJ limped through the rest of the show on the one remaining speaker. At several times I could see the DJ having heated arguments with people I guessed were managers of some level or another. I don't know how this issue was resolved, but it is real, and I am sure stuff like that happens all the time. This is what insurance is for.

If there is a waiver in place like what is being discussed here, the hotel would be held blameless for this incident. I think it happened because the person setting up the risers did a substandard job, or it was the wrong equipment for the load, or the riser mechanism was faulty. The riser holding the other speaker had no such fault.

Did the DJ have insurance for that? Probably, but should his insurance have had to pay? I am not comfortable with a rule that basically says if we screw up, that is too bad for you. If I screw up, I need to stand behind what I do, and so should a venue.

I am NOT an attorney, what I am preaching here is plain old common sense.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
NEGLIGENCE CAN NOT BE WAIVED!

Read that again guys. ALSO what this means is that if YOU are negligent it falls on you also.

Talk with a lawyer. One you are paying, who knows about these things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Phil,
Why sign? Have them re-write the contract to meet your needs/wants. I do it several times a year.

The worst thing you can do (which is what most magicians do) is just sign away, without considering the consequences.

Best wishes,
Kevin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I think the worst thing to do is proceed without knowing the law. That is where a lawyer comes in. How would he know what to rewrite without asking?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Liability Waiver - Where's that leave us? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL