The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Dispute I Can Avoid! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Http://www.cnbc.com/id/101668384?__sourc......=xfinity

The "trickle down" effect must be for the lawyers.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On May 13, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Http://www.cnbc.com/id/101668384?__sourc......=xfinity

The "trickle down" effect must be for the lawyers.

There are times where I really dislike lawyers, but then here recently, I have been glad that I took the time to pay lawyers too though and have seen some value from paying a lawyer. Like using a contract for example with customers. Contracts are good business but you'll need a lawyer to write a good one for you and contracts prevent misunderstandings which also prevents you from having to go to the courtroom. Not to mention, people will pay you for services rendered when they have their name written on a contract. So lawyers do provide some value.

Then other times, it seems, the lawyers who are also Congressmen, rig the law to where you have to hire them no matter what. Almost like a manufactured and un-necessary need because Congressmen, who are also lawyers, make sure the law is rigged to force people to hire lawyers or get sued by them if they don't. So it's like you are forced by the laws to hire a lawyer or get screwed if you don't. But on the other hand, I have been glad to have paid a lawyer too though and I can see the importance of people not having their rights violated and the fact that contracts are a good piece of evidence in court that an agreement did take place. Lawyers know that people talk bad about them too and some of the lawyers I know will tell you a good lawyer joke. I like those lawyers because they don't take it too personal and can make fun of themselves and you know, it's so much easier to hire the lawyers that make you laugh when they tell jokes about themselves.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Here is an interesting article:

Quote:
A growing number of Americans suspect that the American economic system is rigged in favor of the rich and merely affluent. That growing number of Americans is right.

Here are three of the many ways that markets for compensation are rigged to benefit not only the top 1 percent but also the top 10 percent, a group that includes many well-paid professionals:

Financial sector compensation. By now the phrase “too big to fail” has become so familiar that it is known by its acronym: TBTF. What needs to be emphasized is that TBTF is the basis for the huge bonuses paid to elite American bankers who benefit from a government that socializes their losses while allowing them to keep their profits.

Here’s their business model: “We place highly leveraged bets, sometimes as much as 35 or 40 to 1. In return, the government implicitly agrees to bail out our banks, and if we’re fired, we’ve negotiated sweetheart deals with golden parachutes. If we bet right, then our banks keep the windfall profits and we get big bonuses. If we bet wrong, not to worry — the taxpayers will bail out our banks and the government will pay for the cost of the bailouts by cutting Social Security and Medicare. Suckers!”

While TBTF rigs pre-tax income for financial elites, American tax law rigs their after-tax income to their benefit. In the 1980s, capital gains tax rates were equal to income tax rates. But then in the 1990s Clinton and the Republican Congress lowered the capital gains rates. So billionaires who derive most of their money from their investments and savings pay taxes at a lower rate than the majority of Americans, who, like Warren Buffett’s proverbial secretary, rely on their labor income.

Quote:
Professional compensation. Bailed-out bankers and crony capitalist CEOs are not the only Americans who benefit from rigged markets for compensation. Let’s not forget the professional class, which makes up roughly 10 percent of the population (the approximate number of Americans with graduate or professional degrees).

The professions are guilds. To put it another way, they are the most powerful unions in America. They are unions for the affluent. They rig labor markets the way that guilds have always done — by preventing anybody who doesn’t belong to the guild from practicing the trade.

In most states of the Union, you can’t practice law or medicine without both passing exams and possessing a medical degree or a law degree. In the early 20th century, law was an undergraduate degree. Then law schools began requiring four-year college education as a prerequisite, in order to keep the lawyer labor market tight by weeding out Americans who can’t afford at least seven years of higher education.

While raking in rents from their credentials, America’s affluent professionals are delegating more and more of their work to poorly paid subordinates — nurses and health aides, paralegals, adjuncts. While gouging students and parents with high tuitions, today’s universities and colleges assign more and more teaching to “freeway fliers” — often graduate students paid near-poverty wages or affluent professionals who teach as a hobby. God forbid that a well-paid, tenured professor should have to teach undergraduates, instead of jetting to conferences in luxury hotels.

Note that none of these methods of rigging the market to artificially inflate incomes — TBTF, stock buy-backs that drive up stock options, the professional credentials cartel — can be blamed on capitalism or markets. There are still genuine entrepreneurs who get rich by founding companies that provide new and useful goods and services, and there are still genuine capitalists who get rich by investing in them. But getting rich the old-fashioned way by getting customers to buy what you sell is hard, compared to paying politicians to rig markets and tax policies in your favor.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/09/how_the_rich_rig_the_system/
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Dispute I Can Avoid! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL