The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Reading Practice? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Richard Webster's The Tarot for Fun and Profit.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Richard's book mentioned by cpbartak above is excellent.

The only way to get good at reading is to do a lot of work (thousands of readings and hundreds of hours of reading, refining, and analyzing).

You don't need another person in front of you to practice readings, get a picture, set it in front of you. Turn on a recorder, and do a reading for the person in the picture.
Later listen to the recording and analyze what you did. I suggest using a photo so you have someone to look at and apply the reading to.

I've been working on taking my teaching notes from teaching Tarot into a booklet form. It isn't finished yet, but if you are serious and are willing to put in the work and study, I canl send you a draft copy (a very rough and incomplete draft). Send me a PM of interested.

Tony
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The element of my tarot practice tool that makes it so popular is the fact that it sets up a (different) context for each practice reading. Learning to give readings in specific contexts is the key to mastering cold reading. In the absence of this component, you are just rehearsing canned scripts.

It's also important to follow the advice given in the introduction to the tool: do the practice readings out loud, not merely in your head. Lacking this, it's too easy to convince yourself that you're a lot better than you really are.

Finally, what Tony said (and I emphasize here): practice, practice, practice.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Another simple practice tool (though I do like Doug's it isn't always what I'm looking for) is Dear Abby or a similar agony column. This gives you a situation and a supposed expert who answers it. Read the question, do a reading, then compare your answer to Abby's. This is a really simple way to do your practice and you can find all sorts of online variations on the Abby theme, so there's no end of questions to play with.

Another tip, if you are having trouble connecting the cards into a narrative, is to just tell stories with them. Put three cards in a row and tell a story in which the cards are the major plot points. Keep it under 5 minutes, do 3 or 4 stories a day. The goal is not to be a reader in this exercise, but a story teller. You are connecting the dots and learning to make the cards work together.

Do both of these a few times then record your voice. Doug is so right about the need to do it out loud. But record it a few times and listen to what you are saying. Those pithy and insightful thoughts you were sure you were articulating may well sound like nonsense when you listen later. Very humbling at times. But when you are able to listen to what you said and honestly say "this guy sounds like he knows what he's doing" you are on the right road. As a musician, I don't record myself as often as I should, but when I do, the mistakes I missed while playing just seem to jump out at me. As a reader, you don't want mistakes to jump out at your audience.

-Patrick
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
That is a really fun idea.
...I'm going to look for a Dear Abbey column.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
I appreciate Doug's message, but it doesn't address an important aspect of reading, which is telephone work. I earn my living giving readings and a large proportion of it is made over the phone. I can't see how people are dressed or the state of their shoes, but I am confident enough to be able to give a reading that is valid and individual without resorting to a 'canned script' and I would suggest that anyone that can't needs to invest time in relating to some form of oracle or improving their own ability to interpret and communicate with their sitters.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
So just curious, are you thinking of making people believe that this is real?
Reality is a real killjoy.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Well, I suspect he's planning to do real tarot readings.

Courtney, I find the Dear Abby to be really useful, actually. You get an insight into the incredible range of problems that get people wanting help and advice. What's really fun is when I am sure she's pulling the same cards I am. There are times when I totally miss the answer and know it, there are times when I know she's blown it and I nailed it. And it is good fun.

-Patrick
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Quote:
On May 15, 2014, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Richard's book mentioned by cpbartak above is excellent.

The only way to get good at reading is to do a lot of work (thousands of readings and hundreds of hours of reading, refining, and analyzing).

You don't need another person in front of you to practice readings, get a picture, set it in front of you. Turn on a recorder, and do a reading for the person in the picture.
Later listen to the recording and analyze what you did. I suggest using a photo so you have someone to look at and apply the reading to.

I've been working on taking my teaching notes from teaching Tarot into a booklet form. It isn't finished yet, but if you are serious and are willing to put in the work and study, I canl send you a draft copy (a very rough and incomplete draft). Send me a PM of interested.

Tony

Tony, you will recieve a PM.
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Ddyment,

Your tarot reading practice tool seems very ideal, thanks for sharing!

Mr. Woolery,

Dear Abby looks interesting, I'll definitely research more about it. Appreciate it!

Story telling for me is no problem, that's actually one of my favorite parts about the reading! It lets my imagination and creative side goto work!

I've been busy with the readings as of late, but I must confess; I had one reading two nights ago and It was a little shocking. I posted this in another sub forum but I guess it wont to do the same here.

I was at a friend's after party for his birthday and one girl in particular found out I was doing tarot readings, so she got curious and wanted a reading for herself. I immediately broke out the cards, but the party was inside in the apartment so we went outside to the back to get more private/personal. I proceeded with my methods of getting the sitter ready and began to draw out the 3-card spread. Barely scratching the surface of getting to the second card (reversed Empress Card btw), she started to burst in tears. She was telling me that I was "right on the mark and really understood me". Overall, after we got through with the reading, she told me that she was very relived and satisfied as she thought she could figure out her own worries. Wiping off her tears, she gave a big smile, gave me a hug and was just thankful.

What do you guys make of this? Is there some type of road for tarot readers that needs to get passed to reach "new levels"? Am I doing ok?

Thank you all, you guys are the best!

D.J. Ayur
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, D.J. Ayur wrote:
I've been busy with the readings as of late, but I must confess; I had one reading two nights ago and It was a little shocking. I posted this in another sub forum but I guess it wont to do the same here.

I was at a friend's after party for his birthday and one girl in particular found out I was doing tarot readings, so she got curious and wanted a reading for herself. I immediately broke out the cards, but the party was inside in the apartment so we went outside to the back to get more private/personal. I proceeded with my methods of getting the sitter ready and began to draw out the 3-card spread. Barely scratching the surface of getting to the second card (reversed Empress Card btw), she started to burst in tears. She was telling me that I was "right on the mark and really understood me". Overall, after we got through with the reading, she told me that she was very relived and satisfied as she thought she could figure out her own worries. Wiping off her tears, she gave a big smile, gave me a hug and was just thankful.

What do you guys make of this? Is there some type of road for tarot readers that needs to get passed to reach "new levels"? Am I doing ok?

Thank you all, you guys are the best!

D.J. Ayur

I intentionally stay away from this kind of magic for this reason. If you say something wrong, and someone believes you, you could ruin their life. Tarot reading is not fun and games. People give it real merit, so I stay away from it, but if you must, be very carful what you say.
Reality is a real killjoy.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
I could go into great detail about my ideas for beginning to approach the Tarot. What stops me? The fact that anything posted on the Magic Café is owned by Steve Brooks. I'd like to help you, but under those conditions I can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot Reading Practice? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL