The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Edwardian Kardar (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of slydini
Hello All,
I was recently speaking with Chris about Kardar, and how, although I love them as they are now, I wished there was a set that would fit in with an.Edwardian themed show.
Chris told me that if enough people showed an interest, he would be more than happy to create them.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
What's kardar?
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I'm all up for an Edwardian KADAR themed deck!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On May 14, 2014, afinemesh wrote:
What's kardar?

A typo ?
Smile
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
It's a serious question. Mr.S asked me for ideas on linking DITF and Sailors purse and Kadar, for a themed performance. DITF and SP are a no brainer, as Tilly Harte from DITF is the daughter of the main character in SP, so the one routine can simply flow into the other. One can tell the story of the Harte family performing SP, then ending it poignantly with the death of the Sailor and his wife left alone and pregnant at home. So what became of the child? We will find out after the intermission.
Kadar can fit in really well into this theme, as Tilly was a psychic and would have done more than her fair share of readings. However, the Kadar Cards are not really Edwardian in design. One could of course weave the cards into the story; Tilly would perform readings using a little known system and some very odd cards, or these were found lying next to her corpse and were buried with her. The cards are only known to true readers and are passed down through the readers bloodline. So you can then offer post show readings using a deck of cards that were given to you by your mother, who was Tilly's grand daughter of course. They are not the cards Tilly used, as each reader must have their own unique set of cards.
However, this got me thinking and the whole set of Edwardian cards popped into my head. Actually, with the Kadar cards, my original intention was to make them look like old Victorian gypsy fortune telling cards. But I was at the point where I thought the whole Victorian thing was being done to death, so I went for a style that had a more contemporary look - the sort of thing that one would order from a 60's comic (along with your sea monkeys!). So I still have not done the 'Old Gypsy Deck' and the idea appeals to me.
However, those of you who have Kadar (which by my figures, should be everyone by now!) will understand the time that goes into the design of them; it is not an afternoons work! So, were I to make these, it would really need to be worth my time. So I am judging the response (or lack of it) to give me an indication as to whether it would be a project that would be valued by the community. My business sense tells me 'no', as there would be no new routine involved (or would there?), and when we cough up for something new(old), we want a new toy right?

While I am here, I am going to be taking a short break from Kadar, I have a couple of sets and then I am going to retire him for a month or two. He will be back, as he pays my bills, but I have gotten to the point where demand is outstripping my psychological need for novelty.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I would love to this set become a reality Chris! Especially an elite version.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
921 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Are you kidding!! give me a KARDOR card any day. I think it would make an awesome tribute to the late Mr DeWitt.
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Mr DeWitt was in my thoughts when Kadar was born!
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I'm glad the Kardar deck went the more contemporary direction.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
If they are country neutral and could pass for turn of the century America I'd interested.
Bob
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
*be
Bob
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
I'd be interested in Edwardian kadar, although obviously it would need to be quite radically different in design. I quite like the idea of 4 cabinet photos with all the symbols in, but would end up with quite a different feel to it. But when we get into Edwardian playing cards the style of cards I think of is more happy families and I'm not sure how good readings Mr Bun the baker gives. But I'm sure you'd put the thought into it and come up with something good Chris.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
For your consideration a collection of various Edwardian art images. Looks like this could be rich and quite lush. Kadar would fit in very nicely there. https://www.google.com/search?q=edwardia......imgdii=_

http://www.liftingfaces.com/uploads/travislouie.jpg

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/11/64......_art.jpg

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/513786......4040.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Edwardian Kardar (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL