The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who do you consider the Dai Vernon of mentalism? (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Besides- neither Richard or I smoke cigars and Vernon couldn't sing. Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Besides- neither Richard or I smoke cigars and Vernon couldn't sing. Smile

Hey Bob PM me I want to send you some words.

J
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, Richard Osterlind wrote:
I feel equally uneasy with threads like this. Although I am very flattered to have my name brought up, comparisons and competitions are really not what the art should be about. There are so many creators I admire, but Bob's books sit on my shelf right beside Annemann and Corinda. (literally)

While I agree that the art, itself isn't about comparisons and competitions, one's legacy is something that others bestow upon those who work diligently and faithfully to elevate the art and to both maintain the quality and the integrity of the art they love. One’s legacy, like one’s beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and cannot be self-achieved. Thanks again, Richard for your love of and contributions to mentalism.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
I admire, support, endear, venerate and enjoy the works and performances of ALL the great performers aforementioned as well as others not mentioned here, living and dead. GREAT is GREAT . . . period. Beyond them being performers and even more importantly: THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE!!! And I am open-heartedly thankful and grateful to you all for sharing your works. You are all champions.
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2014, rjbullock wrote:
Osterlind, definitely. I can think of no other mentalist who has produced even 1/2 of the teaching material Richard has. Granted, Richard didn't create all of the material he teaches, but neither did Vernon.

While I certainly don't claim to be the Dai Vernon of anything, I think that my published output over the last forty years is rather substantial (as is my good friend Richard's):

Releases include:

61 eBooks exclusively at Lybrary.com
2 hard backs from H&R (Both volumes of The Artful Mentalism)
1 hard cover from Collector's Workshop (The Art of Mentalism)
numerous contributions to Magick, Magic Magazine, Invocation, Vibrations, etc.
1 softcover from Bob Lynn (My 1st book, Pseudomentally Yours, in 1978)
2 DVDs at Meyer Yedid (Mental Miracles and The Black Box)
8 exclusive Teleseminars from Marketplace of the Mind
6 exclusive eBooks at Marketplace of the Mind
Billet Killers from Penguin Magic
and at least a dozen physical products, including the Master Mentalists Blindfold, the Hanussen Switch Bag, Test Conditions, impression devices, the PW23 PocketWriter, et al)

Lets not forget the other hundred or so marketed and non marketed products/effcet that you have contributions in or have worked on or consultated on over the many years.

Now Bob I would not go as far as saying that your a Vernon of mentalism or anything like that after all there is only one Vernon but I will say your contributions to the art of mentalism are of paramount importance to the art as a whole. As there is only one Vernon there's only one Bob as well. I don't think I could handle two of you anyway.

So I jsut really wanted to say thank you again for all your help in the past not only for the works of mine you assiasted with be helping me keep ground in tradition aspects but for all of your help in the art of mentalism as a whole. -Bill Montana

PS I still think 39 steps should be a sticky at the top of the Penny section of this forum. And I also still think it should be expanded and I not changing my mind about that.
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
[quote]On May 18, 2014, landmark wrote:
It might help to define what is meant by being the "Dai Vernon" of a field.

To me, Vernon's place of importance in magic is because of his:

1) Teaching and mentoring.
2) Insistence that methods and performance could and should be refined until they appeared absolutely natural.
3) Feeling that fields outside of magic (in Vernon's case, gambling in particular) could provide fruitful avenues of investigation for the magician.

I would not rule out including "The Professor's" character, humor "wrankling" attitude and presentation.....when considering who today is "the Dai Vernon of mentalism". I only saw him twice perform and lecture in person, and several times saw and heard recordings, but IMHO as a totality, there is no one since "like Dai Vernon"...!
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Well Vernon's printed output was far less than many today. But people trying to make the comparison probably don't understand what Vernon was about. Trying to explain that is a bit tough. In my opinion there isn't a Vernon of mentalism. Or magic for that matter today. But the Annemann connection may be the closest. Except that Annemann published a lot as opposed to Vernon. If you didn't know him and what he was about it is difficult to understand.

If you saw Vernon "twice perform" then you were doing pretty good on that front. He really wasn't a performer. Some people like to argue that point but it is true. He was a silhouette cutter. Doesn't mean he never performed but it wasn't that frequent of an event.

I bring that up because most of the people mentioned for being his replacement are performers.

Annemann wasn't much of a performer either. Didn't like doing it. But he was a heck of a good writer.
Davidzajac
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Davidzajac
There really is no comparison. Not even to Annemann because comparing what someone does to elevate his/her art with someone else is sure to be completely wrong. No one is the equivalent of another and, if you were comparing time periods that is still sure to be inaccurate.
IbiMania
View Profile
Regular user
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
108 Posts

Profile of IbiMania
I will not compare to Dai Vernon but what is being perceived by some as Dai here, I will use that perception for comparison.

legendary performer: Dunninger
legendary teacher: Tony Cordina
Classic both: Anneman
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On May 17, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Peter Turner is the Dai Vernon of mentalism.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
I think that Max,Bob and Richard are the big 3.
They are giving for the art for so many years.
Amazing

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who do you consider the Dai Vernon of mentalism? (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL