The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sleeving trouble (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
After doing a flip stick vanish, I go to sleeve but sometimes my pen is outside my sleeve and it is awkward to ajust. any suggestions to make the sharpie go into my sleeve rather than out?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Not real clear, wouldn't it be on the floor if it was outside the sleeve? Are you wearing a long sleeve shirt with sport jacket, then change to a short sleeve shirt with sport jacket. If wearing only a button down shirt, then have the buttons moved over buy a seamstress.

Just in case you are asking about positioning, press the pen up against the base of the hand/wrist, then relax once the pen is in position. Or use more open sleeves. Sleeving is not for form fitting cloths.

That is all I can guess you might mean from your posted question.
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Sorry, let me clarify. My trouble is that I can't sleeve the pen because after doing the flipstick move, it has ended up pressed to the outside of my sleeve. I then have to stretch my arms out so the sleeve falls behind the pen, and sleeve from there. This is not the most natural action.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have to disagree, it is most natural to make normal gestures with the whole body. It is part of what makes use unique. No one stands still stiff and ridged, ever. Unless you are in the military at attention or guarding the queens palace in the U.K., or the Vatican in Rome. Simply move your arm left right or down, depending on which hand is in play. The other hand also moves with, for lack of better description, a magic gesture. Simple holding the hand up and opening it to show it gone. This all happens in a second in time. Movement is misdirection as well as the spoken word. They all work together to create an "illusion" of magic.

I would suggest you get Shoot Ogawa DVD on wand magic. How do you think a wand can be sleeved as it rest against the arm. There is a DVD on Sharpie manipulation currently on the market, I would assume you have some source material you working from, and not YouTube. LOL
superej68
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of superej68
Yes, I have been watching pencyclopedia, a great dvd on pen magic
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 18, 2014, superej68 wrote:
Yes, I have been watching pencyclopedia, a great dvd on pen magic

Super, study it and keep working at it, Sleeving is not an easy skill to master, thus it takes time, patience and practice. The payoff is that you will have a routine and skill that no one else can just go buy. You will be unique above many of the other local magicians.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For you young guys, this little story may "back up" what Bill has just said regarding "practice"--especially when Bill mentions "...study and keep working at it..."

EMIL JARROW, who was a "standard act" in vaudeville, had phenomenal skill as a "sleever".

He could sleeve LOOSE TOBACCO!

Someone is said to have asked him how to achieve that level of skill.

Jarrow replied, "Practice with buckshot on a tin roof!"

P.S. JACK MILLER was no "slouch" either! --Of course, he "cheated". He used a holdout.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
The pen should hinge between your finger and when swings back hits the pad of skin just below your thumb. If your catching your jacket a lot I would say your jacket arms are to long. Get some safety pins and pin your jacket back 20mm. If you do it half way up the fore arm you should not effect how the cuff opens. Now try it and see what happens. if it works get your jacket altered.

If I was there with you we could see if this is a problem or not but hay I hope you can work on what I have given you.

Just so you now I have been working on this for a month and it starting to work. I did get in to all kinds of sitions and fired out off control sharpies all over the place. SO as mentioned it dose take time keep going.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sleeving trouble (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL