The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism with Cards Plots (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grippo's Wish
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Grippo's Wish
Several people have been asking about this, so I thought posting it here to the benefits of others as well.

I want to list the possible "plots" available to perform mentalism with playing cards. I'm not talking about the "dramatic effect", only about the "magic effect" (S. Sharpe definitions). Just by way of example, you *could*, in theory, do a DL and show that the card changed by your mental powers; however for the time being I only want to list those plots that more naturally, organically and directly relate to the field of mental powers.

Please notice that classification in magic is never totally strict so please be open. The point is not a mathematical exersice; rather is to open up and exploring creative possibilites and options.

Mind Reading / Telepathy: probably the most obvious and basic plot would be "Think of a Card".

Prediction / Multiple Prediction: predicting what card(s) spectator(s) will choose, including also the Invisible Deck, Brainwave, etc.

Readings: fortune telling and playing cards readings. Many methods and variations.

Reading/Divination Combination: performing a mind reading effect as part of a reading.

Coincidences / Synchronicity: Mentalist /Spectator choosing the same cards (Do as I do) or matching cards with one deck.

Spectator's Intuition: effects where the spec. finds his own card. Out of This World is probably in this category as well.

Lie detector routines: many possibilities, but basically the mentalist discerns when the spec. is lying about his card.

"Stop" Trick: either the mentalist or the spec. stops dealing at their selected card. Probably this effect is included in other category, but because it has so may options and variations I included as a separate plot.

Torn and Restored Card: just kidding on this one!

ACAAN: also could be part of another plot, but again, many possibilites.

Amnesia: effects where the mentalist causes spec. to forget his own card (happens naturally, as well!)

Hallucination: effects where people think they saw one card when in reality was other, etc. There is one variation of this in Swami/Mantra!

Teleportation: teletransporting a playing card to another place (Dunninger's Delight, Mephisto's Journey)

Hypnotic Effects with cards: spec. can't remove cards from case; can't pick up a card; deck is heavier, etc.

Card Movement: haunted pack, playing card levitation, deck levitation.

Card Bending: literally! Guy Bavly came up with this effect several years ago. A signed selectd card bends and returns to normal shape.

Prediction Printing: the name of a playing cards appears on a previously shown empty card/paper. More a sceance effect than mentalism, but still.

Deck memorization: memorizing a deck of cards in seconds.

For the moment that's all I got. If you have more please feel free to add (jokes will be inevitable, I know)
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Wow that's a pretty exhaustive list! Not much else to add I think?

One routine that maybe can have a mebtal angle is deep 3? Someone the spectator knows' initials appear on the back of 2 jokers. I suppose this could go under coincidence or mind reading categories you put above. Just trying to help add different ideas to your list.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2041 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Clairvoyance or sensing/seeing with the fingertips.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
I picked this up recently. It's a great way of using cards in mentalism, practicing your cold reading, story telling and cartomancy. I love this:

More details can be found here:
http://templeofcult.blogspot.co.uk/
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Reading body language; finding a selected card by reading the participant's "energy" in a card (as in my Half Track" routine).

CT
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
None. Mentalism can't be done with playing cards. Smile Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On May 21, 2014, Tom Cutts wrote:
None. Mentalism can't be done with playing cards. Smile Smile

Ohhhh! Now here's a debate waiting to happen.
Kincaid
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Kincaid
Great list.
To me is all about presentation, the effect is secondary.
Resonate emotionally to me is more important than logically.
MrThomas
View Profile
Regular user
Magdeburg
120 Posts

Profile of MrThomas
Speedcounting: Knowing the number of reversed cards in a deck after seeing it for just a moment.
Photographic memory: Knowing which card is missing or changed after memorising the deck in a moment.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
I control your mind effects e.g. 3 card monte/find the lady, this/that/other and 'bank night' effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism with Cards Plots (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL