The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on mind palace (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Peg systems are definitely superior in my opinion. Once you know a phonetic number letter system you don't even need to remember a journey.
The Roth memory course is a good place to learn it too, I think it can be found on lybrary.con
I love post its Smile
Doc Ben
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
261 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On May 23, 2014, seamagu wrote:
Peg systems are definitely superior in my opinion. Once you know a phonetic number letter system you don't even need to remember a journey.
The Roth memory course is a good place to learn it too, I think it can be found on lybrary.con

I'm such a dinosaur that I learned what I still use from the Roth Memory course (book) and no relation that I know of to Rick of OA), but in the 70's I acquired Harry Lorayne's works and always found them useful for some other memeory and mnemonic device uses ( such as name and face memorization).

Smile Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
dd123
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dd123
I have been lucky enough to pick up a copy of Superpower Memory for £1.49 Inc delivery from Amazon! I almost feel guilty for getting it at this price. Thanks for all the great advice and I will report back ASAP.

Kind regards, Duncan.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
To me, I've always used the memory palace as a virtual palace.... Constructing my own structures etc and then decorating it with furniture and so on, and then adding additional wings over time... Or a new cabinet with shelves, or a new painting etc. I still remember for years now what is on what shelf and so on. The nice thing I find to this style is you can also sit down in front of a fire with a glass of brandy in mental space and mediate. I do remodel and store things in a basement once in a while to make space!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My Super Power Memory book was written in 1955 and published in 1956. I've written quite a few books since then, although basically the same systems are taught (NEVER the "palace" system; please! It was great at its time, of course.) The Memory Book, of course, which both Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lucas had as much to do with writing as you did! It was all written before the president of the crook-of-the-month club showed up - I just changed every "I" to the editorial "We" and wrote a few made up "discussions." Oh, and David Roth used to call me every time I was on National TV and rave "Good Lord! No way I could ever do that!" He was a fan. He was an early member of the Rotary Club. He was given a dinner on his 93rd birthday. We spoke on the phone (he was West Coast) and he said he'd still do a "couple of memory pieces." He passed away at 96. Jerry Lewis was/is a fan, incidentally. He applied my systems to remember a complicated "announcer's test" (I talk about that in my "rememoir", BEFORE I FORGET.)I was on the Mike Douglas TV Show when Jerry was the co-host and we both did the thing from memory. Good old days!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Harry-

I figured that Lucas had little to do with the book, since the distinctive writing style was clearly all Harry Lorayne. And, apart from memory, the most valuable thing I learned from your books (magic and memory) was how to write understandable technical descriptions. I've always considered you to be the best all-around magic writer in the business.
Ben_cardall
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Ben_cardall
All of Mr.Lorayne's memory books are some of my most treasured possessions and I wouldn't be able to do things I can do today without them! awesome stuff!
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
17 Posts

Profile of davidzajac1991
Hi dd123,
I think I read the same book as you and amazingly I can still remember half of Shakespeare's plays vaguely. It is interesting that the ones I can remember are the ones I spent more time with. Perhaps this is why the memory palace works for me as I use it to memorize information about the brain for tests in college. I usually can just stick a memory peg at a certain location for a particular brain area and go in order on a familiar route to the next brain area peg that I've created for example basal forebrain, (basal, and a guy driving a brain down a golf course, or off my couch this has helped in me memorizing many pathways in the brain.) I think that there are two things and probably many more responsible for my success. One is I spend a lot of time on it just like I was actually studying(because you are) and I think that the link method is partially responsible. I.e. You have to link it to the place in your memory palace like the guy is hitting brains left and right off my couch and yelling fore. Unfortunately, I think there is no avoiding practice and you will have to convert them to long term memory storage. For this I cannot be accountable for though I am like a Snapple of all things brain and mind I hardly can be said to have it all memorized. Practice, practice, practice(rehearsal). I really hope that although I am vague I have helped you in some way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Advice on mind palace (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL