The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Made Items? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Hey everyone, I don't think I ever posted in this section, but, it means I only owe you guys ;-) I am interested in getting some items made, or if available purchase them. Its basically a production box, anyone know someone who can customize them for me?

Thanks!

Six
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Most of the magic craftsmen don't really do custom work, they make them to their designs and features. Anyway, that has been my experience.

Www.abbottmagic.com is a long time magic manufacturer magic props. Take a look, they may have what your are looking for. If they have the time, they may be able to make some changes, but it will be expensive these days.

Being you are in NY, I am sure they have expert cabinet makers in that city. Take your idea, if that is what your inquiry is about and discuss them making what you need.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Bill, while most won't, I will. Here is a one of a kind project.

The egg beater is my idea, exclusive to myself, and gets a great reaction when revealed.

http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/pag......ead.html
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Jay that is a fantastic looking piece and I love your egg-beater-ring-grinder bit. I like the concept. I have always wanted to do an watch/ring to loaf of sliced bread but just never got around to working on it. I noticed that you made this as a custom piece are you planning to make a run and sell them?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I wasn't planning on it.
How many people have a show with an assistant these days and also have enough money to buy a loaf of bread every performance?

But seriously, It's is a nice interlude for an illusion show and I havent marketed it...... should I?
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
SIX,

I once was looking for a special magic item that isn't manifactured anymore, so I looked trough magic shops and builders who sold similar items and ask them if they could build some modifications in it. They did it for $10,- extra. I was very happy with the result and got a special made prop no one else can get.

So maybe try the same. Good luck !!!

Oliver.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good point Jay. I don't use an assistant and don't do big shows anymore. BUT I think that there are folks that do and maybe this would be a great interlude piece to change the pace of the show. I suspect that you'd sell a couple. I am reminded that Lou Leventhal sold his ring in racket ball prop in a limited run. Folks still look for it and it typically sells for full price when it comes on the used market.

Back to the thread...I can attest that Jay can and does make custom pieces including custom versions of items that he sells. He is making me something right now.

Ron Reid here on the Café' often will do a custom paint job on some props. I had him repaint several sets of bottles and tubes for me (OK so now I have a 27 bottle set of Multiplying bottles!!).

Mel Babcock will modify/customize some of his items time permitting.

Joe Poper has made me a custom ring set.

Joe Mogar has made me more than one set of custom knives (one of a kind sets).

Sometimes you just have to start emailing and asking. The worst that happens is that the builder will say no. Most often the "no" comes from the builder not having time more than anything. Most magic manufacturing is a cottage industry and most of the magic builders are good, friendly, fellows.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
SIX

You might want to contact Dan Wolfe at Smoky Mt Magic. He may be able to help you out.
Here is the link to his website http://smmagic.com/

Best of luck in your search.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
harveythalm
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of harveythalm
I want to know if anyone here really want to know a best place to get custom made manufacturing boxes. I am here to help you to get your boxes (customized and custom designed) at you doorstep, within limited budgets.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Harvey, Very few people buy props, sight unseen. Please post some photos of your work.
I'm sure a few of us would like to see it.

Welcome to the Café. Is it possible to add your website to your profile and post an avatar?
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
I would check with Fair child magic I have had custom items built by Joe.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
SIX, what kind of production box, and what kind of customization are you looking for?
Professor J. P. Fawkes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Made Items? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL