The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question and Answer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Just wondering: When doing a question and answer effect, do you have the audience write it down or just think of it and then reveal it?

From,
Cornelius.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
It can be VERY effective both ways. Obviously, the ones not written would be perceived as more amazing but (depending on presentation)not by much.
There are Q&A acts done where the question are asked out loud and the audience is sitll stunned with the answers.
Ted (Leondo)
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Not knowing your background on this issue I'd highly recommend checking out Lee Earle's Q&A Teach-In video... I'd also do some research on this topic and get my hands on as much about the Q&A as I could find (especially all the Nelson notes from Hades)...

The biggest problem most have with the Q&A is the one-ahead issue... if you are like I and have problems confusing information, then I'd recommend looking into Millard Longman's Q&A routine, the Docc Hilford Playing Card method and/or Sensational Mentalism (which requires a BS in BS... if you know what I mean...) Smile

In that I work (my day job) is that of a pro Reader I do the Q&A about 12-18 hours a day... that's all a Reading is, when you break it down.

I have been asked to address this topic at a now pending fall (mid-October) east coast convention... I'll let everyone know if and when that proves out so you can plan to attend... or at least get a copy of the notes... Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2002-06-13 15:41, Darmoe wrote:
Not knowing your background on this issue I'd highly recommend checking out Lee Earle's Q&A Teach-In video... I'd also do some research on this topic and get my hands on as much about the Q&A as I could find (especially all the Nelson notes from Hades)...

The biggest problem most have with the Q&A is the one-ahead issue... if you are like I and have problems confusing information, then I'd recommend looking into Millard Longman's Q&A routine, the Docc Hilford Playing Card method and/or Sensational Mentalism (which requires a BS in BS... if you know what I mean...) Smile

In that I work (my day job) is that of a pro Reader I do the Q&A about 12-18 hours a day... that's all a Reading is, when you break it down.

I have been asked to address this topic at a now pending fall (mid-October) east coast convention... I'll let everyone know if and when that proves out so you can plan to attend... or at least get a copy of the notes... Smile

Lee Earle has re-released 'Superscript'. While it was once $100, it is now less than $20. http://www.Lee-Earle.com/SuperScript.html

Jerry
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of Super Script--even at the higher price which I paid! It is an excellent routine and well motivated--great thinking (as you would expect from Lee).
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

If you like Super Script you ought to praise Volta, he originated the idea.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Well for a "Magician" the Superscript might be perfectly fine... I can assure you however, in the shut-eye market if you tried to make a living using that kind of psycho babble you'll get eaten alive.

If you want to learn how to do Readings and how to deliver accurate Readings, stay away from the "magician's only" thinking and allow yourself to learn the wider elements of the art. Anyone that's read my posts and articles knows what I mean by this... I don't know of anyone that's used the techniques I've shared that have regreted it... I'm not knocking Lee's product (I love everything I've ever gotten from him) but I loathe canned cold reading materials and theatrically oriented psycho-babble... it's gets people into trouble!

Maybe not in the case of a standard Q&A routine, but to go beyond that level or to deliver deeper, more accurate (legit) info... this kind of material is not a good "foundation"... it's background and filler.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

To answer the original question, I do not have everyone write their questions down. As suggested the effect is stronger if the guest believes you could divine the "answer" from inside their minds. In addition, my character and situation do not allow for me to hand out cards/pencils and go through all that "process".

As for techniques, Q&A is one place where mixing and matching really pays off. Impression devices, forces, double-speak, peeks, stooges, preshow investigation, actual telepathy, and suggestion should be combined to create a fluid routine that builds upon each revelation.

Or so I humbly propose Smile

Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
If you're doing true Q & A, I think you'll find the audience couldn't care less about how you learn the question. Their major interest is in your answer.Most psychics don't bother with having questions written at all.. they simply have the audience member ask the question and it's answered.Very similiar to a private reading from the platform.Much harder than doing a mental act, believe me.

Best thoughts,
John Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Dan-
Volta (Burling Hull) may well have created the routine on which Super Script was based. However, he was known (quite often) to have "adapted" quite a few things himself!

Darmoe-
First, I have no problem claiming the tilte "magician," although you seem to scorn it.

Second, the routine is based on Graphology, an area that has a great deal more "authenticity" behind it than "psychic phenomena."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I agree with Scott, I too purchased Superscript at the higher price and was happy to pay it.

Quote:
Lee Earle has re-released 'Superscript'. While it was once $100, it is now less than $20. http://www.Lee-Earle.com/SuperScript.html

I assume Lee is not giving the Stationary requied or at least not as much as with the $100.00 version so beware! it will cost you quite a lot for the required folders due to a required anomily that you could not simply do on a pc.
phillip
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Quote:
On 2002-06-16 02:53, p.b.jones wrote:
Hi,
I agree with Scott, I too purchased Superscript at the higher price and was happy to pay it.

Quote:

I assume Lee is not giving the Stationary requied or at least not as much as with the $100.00 version so beware! it will cost you quite a lot for the required folders due to a required anomily that you could not simply do on a pc.
phillip

Seven or eight years ago, Charles Scott, creator of Psi-Graphico, a Q&A routine based on pseudo=graphology. Contacted me that Mr Earle had recreated Psi-graphico as Superscript
At a convention in Fla. Mr Earle showed Superscript, I couldn't see a noticable difference from Psi-graphico
I've never heard of the Hull antecedents
from
Ford
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-06-16 01:20, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Dan-
Volta (Burling Hull) may well have created the routine on which Super Script was based. However, he was known (quite often) to have "adapted" quite a few things himself!

Darmoe-
First, I have no problem claiming the tilte "magician," although you seem to scorn it.

Second, the routine is based on Graphology, an area that has a great deal more "authenticity" behind it than "psychic phenomena."

My Bad... I had the name confused with the "Universal Reading" thing that Lee sales... this sounds more like the old PSIGraphico bit.

... we needn't get into the whole Psychic vs. Magician issue. Everyone that knows my posts & articles know that this isn't a good thing to get me rolling on. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Question and Answer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL