The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you could really read someone's mind (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Why is my name in quotation marks? It's really my "name".

Out of respect -- to indicate the special "Bob" as opposed to just any Bob or one of those things on a fish line. I did not use your full name in the belief that all readers of this thread would instantly know what "Bob" meant.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
But, to answer your question: I wouldn't.
It would be crossing the final frontier.
It's similar to the question 'what would you wish for if you had Aladdin's lamp' or 'what if you were a real wizard'.

I'm happy enough to make my audience happy, to realise they liked my story, to feel their amazement grow (and my adrenalin rocket simultaniously), to take them away on a trip BUT to bring 'em back alive (call me Frank Buck) and safely let them proceed.
With a litte luck I will have given them something bigger than a mere trick.

xxx Morgaine
AlJones
View Profile
New user
Cornwall UK
11 Posts

Profile of AlJones
Actually if I could really read minds then all the stuff about zodiac signs, pin numbers, names and dates would pale into insignificance if you could understand peoples passions, hopes, fears and dreams. Imagine understanding them in such a deep way that you could help them Be and Grow. There are four words which could change the world - a question which if asked honestly with the intent to listen to the answer, would change the way we see each other and the things that stand in the way of human development - those words Tell Me Your Story .... If I could read minds maybe I'd know their story and could challenge them to become an active participant in their own evolving narrative ..... Too spiritual or philosophical ????

Ah well - so it's pin codes and zodiac signs ....

Alan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2014, AlJones wrote:
If I could read minds maybe I'd know their story and could challenge them to become an active participant in their own evolving narrative ..... Too spiritual or philosophical ????

Ah well - so it's pin codes and zodiac signs ....

Alan

i think this kind of stuff is very noble, and obviously coming from a very kind place...however, for me personally - I feel its too much, we are entertainers, and though there are those amongst us who are trained therapists and counselors and so on - we have to remember we are not here to rescue anyone (again, just my view, and I give readings)...

though we have the potential to help people forget about their problems, and sometimes we might even enable them to see their problems in a different way - I do think its worthwhile to remember that not all mentalists are created equal...

and though we might crave (for our own complex personal reasons) to help and rescue others via what we do - I do wonder how many people consider WHY they do it, or rather, feel as though they are equipped and suited to do so...

its hard enough living your own life, let alone somehow help heal others...

and when you factor in our own biases and judgement calls - our solution to someone else's problem, may not be best for them....because our biases are not necessarily other people's biases...and therefore conflict and ill sustained outcomes are offered...

with that said - there is absolutely nothing holding anyone back from using presentations that concern passions, hopes, fears and dreams - they are great subject matter - but they also have to realise that how and why they conjour up those memories or thoughts, they have to tread carefully, because there is always the chance that you could unearth things that may be a bigger issue than that person is capable of handling...however, those subjects are potent, interesting and entertaining in equal measure if handled correctly...

just my view on it....
I've asked to be banned
AlJones
View Profile
New user
Cornwall UK
11 Posts

Profile of AlJones
Thanks Iain great thoughts ....

"i think this kind of stuff is very noble, and obviously coming from a very kind place...however, for me personally - I feel its too much, we are entertainers,"

Totally accept this - I was answering the question set not as an entertainer per se - but as an idealist perhaps and wearing a therapists hat. True our own biases would be a risk in such an idealized world - but I maintain that the Tell Me Your Story attitude would change hearts and minds if we were to actively listen and not passively hear. (But again that's not an entertainer speaking).

In my words I did not intend to imply that 'we' (or I) provide solutions either - that's sometimes the problem I have with readers of my acquaintance. For me a reading is a dialogue which encourages the 'client' to explore perspectives and consider possibilities - and, yes again I know I'm not now speaking strictly as an entertainer.

Totally agree with you on the 'tread' with care if using dreams, passions, desires as a presentation frame. As mentalists we are often 'in peoples' heads and must tread with care and due diligence.

So I guess that echoes another of your questions the consideration or WHY some may seek to help others..... I think entertainers meed to question WHY they are drawn to this form of entertainment. Are their motives philosophical, emotional, theatrical, financial. Making a living out of other peoples thoughts is a but strange on the face of it.

Is there a meaning in what we seek to do beyond the time our audiences spend with us and if so what is it.

All the best

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » If you could really read someone's mind (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL