The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guardians of the Galaxy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Spoiler (and a question)!

I don't know if readers of this thread have seen the "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie or not. Early in the movie, when Peter Quill is a kid, he get abducted by aliens, but he has a Walkman and a cassette tape with him. It's shown a few times in the movie (years later in the timeline), and songs are played from the tape (even on the Walkman). Anyhow, at one point in the movie, he played the cassette on a tape player built into the console of his ship... so he had 2 ways to play the tape... I was wondering where that console player came from? And the replacement batteries for the Walkman?

This isn't really explained in the movie, and yet that cassette and the Walkman are a somewhat major theme to the movie.

I wonder if the batteries and console cassette player are explained in the comic book(s), because I'm not familiar with those comics. Of course, one possible solution that comes to mind, is that the aliens visited earth more than the one time (and they grabbed different supplies on different runs... after all, they were a group of thieves.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously? You want to get into a back story on batteries and a cassette deck during interstellar travel with alien races and abductions? How did the heads get cleaned on the players? How did the tape play after takeoff and such high speed travel?

Seriously this is your line of questioning?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Yes, that is something I was curious about.

It came up in conversation because some of my friends think I have a fascination with old technology. I was mostly using cassette tapes for my show music until early 2013, because my old PA system had a built in tape deck. I'd bring a CD for show music to some venues, when I wasn't using my own PA system, because I knew that cassettes were old school. Since early 2013, I've been using a different PA and using a MP3 player for my show music.

To further prove my point about how I'm somewhat old school / behind the times, I've only owned a LCD TV and PVR for a couple of years... before then I still had an old-style TV and was using a VCR to record TV shows.

I'm sure that someone has put some thought into the answers to those questions about the cassette tape, player, and batteries. After all, he hadn't changed over to CDs, or MP3s, or even whatever technology the aliens possessed. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Oscar-worthy performance by Boseman and certainly a lock for several nominations.

How many do you think Guardians of the Galaxy will get?

Well so far Guardians has gotten 15 different award nominations within various categories while Get On Up is stuck with only 5. They're still the top Super Heroes of 2014!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Finally go to see "Guardians." It was a lot of fun. I also wondered about the Walkman and the console player, but maybe the "Raiders" went to Earth from time to time and got him new batteries. Smile

I do agree with one critic who said; "This is the best "Star Wars" film since the first one!"

I was surprised to find the red-neck raider was actually "Yondu" who was one of the original Guardians. In the book, he was a "noble savage" who fired arrows that he controlled by whistling. They kept the whistling, but the arrow flew on its own without a bow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yondu+ma......YQ_AUoAQ

BTW, we got a copy on Blue-Ray and my wife downloaded the "mix tape" from iTunes! Smile

There is a guy who makes an animated series called "How _________ Should Have Ended!" (It started as "How Superman Should Have Ended") Each clip ends with Superman and Batman in a coffee shop discussing the clip with the characters from the movie.

You know they were going to do this;

"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Oscar-worthy performance by Boseman and certainly a lock for several nominations.

Get On Up - 0 Oscar Nominations

Guardians of the Galaxy - 2 Oscar Nominations

Count so far for Nominations and/or Awards:

Get On Up - 15

Guardians of the Galaxy - 45
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:

After getting very few of the 'predicted' nominations Chadwick Boseman has decided it would be better to play a 'real' superhero after all.

"After playing James Brown in Get On Up, his performance was one of those that got snubbed. But he’s not letting that get him down, because being a superhero is way better, according to him."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/The-Hilar......460.html

Boseman will be playing the coveted roll of Black Panther in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guardians of the Galaxy (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL