The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 7 Characteristics of Well Liked People (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I'll need to check out his book sometime. Sounds like a book I would enjoy reading.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Although I believe in Dale Carnegie's principles, I failed to pass his course. Smile It was a long, expensive course funded by my employer. I found all of the instructors exhibited "fake" friendliness and smiles. The tasks they made you perform were silly and embarrassing except for possibly the most reclusive people.

Of course that's probably why I am not filthy rich with a mega-list of friends.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Don't bother with the courses, just read the book. Nothing about "fakiness" in there. (I suspect that might have come from the instructors)

Besides, the book's a LOT cheaper.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The best boss I ever had in the corporate world once told me after I told him I ****ed off one of his rival VPs, "If you're not ****ing someone off, you're not doing your job." He was right.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Don't bother with the courses, just read the book. Nothing about "fakiness" in there. (I suspect that might have come from the instructors)

Besides, the book's a LOT cheaper.

I'll second that. While I haven't taken the course I've taught college in rooms next to the dale Carnegie courses have been taught and also got to know the instructors. While it helped many of their students, it's not a teaching style for me. Taking the book's lessons to heart will go along way in changing ones life.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
The book seems to have some good reviews and appears to be timeless much like Benjamin Graham's "The Intelligent Investor." You know, there were a lot of good books written during the 1930s and 40s that became timeless pieces of wisdom applicable to the real world that works and helps people live happier more successful lives.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bob1Dog,

I have interactions with Clients all the time and no one is ****ed off in the end.

Go for a "win/win".

-Mary Mowder
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I can't speak for Bob1Dog, but I think he is referring to an era where I have some experience. A lot of successful managers were not college, book or seminar smart but got where they were with a heavy dose of experience working their way up through the ranks and their success was based mostly on observation and common sense(sadly lacking now).

As with the words of wisdom Bob received from his manager, I received this tidbit which for the most part turned out to be somewhat true although overly simplified and harsh.

"There are four types of employees in an organization; 1)Smart, 2)Dumb, 3)Aggressive, and 4)Lazy. I am the manager (my boss saying this) so I must be smart and aggressive. You report to me so you must be smart but lazy or else you would have my job. Most of our workers are dumb and lazy but do what they are told and are productive. The rest are dumb and aggressive which is a danger to any organization and they should be fired as soon as possible."

As you can tell, politcal correctness was not in vogue then (but at least he wasn't sexist). By the way he was one of the most successful managers right up until he retired. I can't say he was well liked (gee, I wonder why), but he was very successful by the measurements used during that time.

P.S. It was a Fortune 100 company.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
I can't speak for Bob1Dog, but I think he is referring to an era where I have some experience. A lot of successful managers were not college, book or seminar smart but got where they were with a heavy dose of experience working their way up through the ranks and their success was based mostly on observation and common sense(sadly lacking now).

As with the words of wisdom Bob received from his manager, I received this tidbit which for the most part turned out to be somewhat true although overly simplified and harsh.

"There are four types of employees in an organization; 1)Smart, 2)Dumb, 3)Aggressive, and 4)Lazy. I am the manager (my boss saying this) so I must be smart and aggressive. You report to me so you must be smart but lazy or else you would have my job. Most of our workers are dumb and lazy but do what they are told and are productive. The rest are dumb and aggressive which is a danger to any organization and they should be fired as soon as possible."

As you can tell, politcal correctness was not in vogue then (but at least he wasn't sexist). By the way he was one of the most successful managers right up until he retired. I can't say he was well liked (gee, I wonder why), but he was very successful by the measurements used during that time.

P.S. It was a Fortune 100 company.

You spoke for me quite well John. Smile

Obviously a magician or mentalist doesn't wish to **** off her/his clients Mary, but it's a different story in the corporate world where anyone worth his or her salt is regularly in the crosshairs of others who might undermine her/his work. It's human nature and a fact of life and successful managers understand it quite well. As with John's boss, mine retired at the top of his game and I retired at the top of mine after 28 years. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, Devious wrote:
I can assure you that
vulnerability is the most 'likeable' quality.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bob1dog,

You must have been very happy to retire.

Congratulations!!!

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 7 Characteristics of Well Liked People (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL