The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vegas store? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Any recommendations on where to go in Vegas if I want to browse with mentalism/magic resources? Denny and Lee's?
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes- Denny and Lee's would be the best choice for those serious about the art. The strip stores are for the tourists and that's pretty much reflected by the stuff they carry.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Thank you, sir!
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
D & L is indeed the place to go. On the strip you will find Houdini's in NY NY and the Miracle Mile Shops (there should be a third?). In Circus Circus there's also a small "magic" stand. He does have tricks like Twisted Sister but way overpriced. The only nice thing I've found at Houdini's was John Racherbaumer's Counthesaurus.
I've been three times to Vegas and three times to D & L and always come back with something. Normally I take a cab from NY NY.
TIp if you like old (movie/mini) cards;
If you leave the door at D & L, look to the left. You will see Hot Rod City, where several movie cars can be seen. Some are used in the actual films or used for stunts and demo's.
A-team van, The General Lee, Packers car, Batmobile etc.etc. just a few meters away from D & L.
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
Another vote for Denny & Lee's. A great store and a really helpful, knowledgeable sales staff. In fact, the guy who was running the place the day I visited even gave me a ride back to my hotel in his own car. That's customer service!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yes, honestly, D&L is the only place to go in Vegas Smile
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Dropped by D&L's today with my wife, and I spend an hour in there browsing and chatting with a Mr. George Millward. Met a guy who called himself "Smoothdini" who apparently was on America's Got Talent recently, and he was telling me the story about the effect he used to go to the next round (salt vanish! :o). George was very willing to do a few card effects for my wife, and since I was in Vegas, I took the opportunity to perform Ian Rowland's Thetalia (since we were doing cards), and then I showed him my Positively! effect.

As for mentalism, there is a small book case in there to the side with several old and newer nuggets. I saw some of Patrick Redford's pieces in there, Annemann, Corinda, etc.
What did I buy?

I just happened to look up and behind me on the top shelf was Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment, so I snagged it for the airplane ride home this week. That, and a BW m'ed deck.

Click here to view attached image.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1315 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Had a great night. I got extremely lucky tonight at the David Copperfield show. As a pure piece of good fortune, I caught one of the frisbees to be a volunteer for one of the three mentalism routines he did tonight (the grandfather's green car). He asked me to name two of six numbers for a lottery prediction (and what kind of underwear I was wearing). I thought I was just giving the info and sat down, but they brought me and two others on stage with DC. There was a locked box hanging from the ceiling from when the show began, and I had to unlock one of the locks. He eventually took out a written prediction of the numbers as well as two license plates with the numbers we called out. Of course, he predicted my boxers as well.

To cap it off, I had to assist him by holding a metal pillar, on top of which (and my head), the green car appeared. Great night!

I did note that he did a very similar effect with email that Insight is doing with his Moment of Mentalism lately (may be a totally different method of course). In his "alien" routine, he sent us all an email on our phones before the effect began, and then during the course of the routine he took a picture of a poster (unseen by the audience and taken after the email was received by us, which he verified when it was sent). When we opened the email later, it contained info in a picture of the poster with information that was stated by the spectator after the email was sent.

Thanks for the recommendations to for the show, everyone...
GaMind
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
73 Posts

Profile of GaMind
Sounds like a great Vegas trip! You'll enjoy Ken's book -- it's terrific. The Copperfield experience sounds terrific. I've been to Vegas a couple of times in the past year and a half, but haven't been able to make the time to see him. I'm jealous.
myrealsphinx
View Profile
New user
Brazil
79 Posts

Profile of myrealsphinx
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, RedDevil wrote:
Had a great night. I got extremely lucky tonight at the David Copperfield show. As a pure piece of good fortune, I caught one of the frisbees to be a volunteer for one of the three mentalism routines he did tonight (the grandfather's green car). He asked me to name two of six numbers for a lottery prediction (and what kind of underwear I was wearing). I thought I was just giving the info and sat down, but they brought me and two others on stage with DC. There was a locked box hanging from the ceiling from when the show began, and I had to unlock one of the locks. He eventually took out a written prediction of the numbers as well as two license plates with the numbers we called out. Of course, he predicted my boxers as well.

To cap it off, I had to assist him by holding a metal pillar, on top of which (and my head), the green car appeared. Great night!

I did note that he did a very similar effect with email that Insight is doing with his Moment of Mentalism lately (may be a totally different method of course). In his "alien" routine, he sent us all an email on our phones before the effect began, and then during the course of the routine he took a picture of a poster (unseen by the audience and taken after the email was received by us, which he verified when it was sent). When we opened the email later, it contained info in a picture of the poster with information that was stated by the spectator after the email was sent.

Thanks for the recommendations to for the show, everyone...

Really a FANTASTIC Showman. A couple of yeas ago I was on stage holding the rope to make sure that the car didn't enter by the sides. And in March I was one of ghe Thirteens And got an autographed picture. So good to be in this moment with a reference that I grow up and
Was one of the reasons that I love magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Vegas store? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL