The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Problems finding a woman's voice (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi everyone.

I want to introduce a new puppet into my show, and this one is a female, young and bright. Any advice on how a large male can produce a young and bright female voice? All suggestions welcome. Tony
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Tony -
Just a warning, not everyone can produce a voice to match a particular puppet. That is why I usually advise finding a voice and creating a character profile before purchasing any.

That said - here are some suggestions. Start with the scales. Take your voice up the octaves until you get to an uncomfortable one, then come back down the scale two octaves. That will give you a higher voice with some vocal range that won't strain your voice. Then try adding in some "breathiness" or air behind that octave when you talk. You'll also want to "soften" the vocal.

Another idea is to head over to Youtube and do a search for "Creating A Female Voice". Some very interesting videos came up - which was disturbing as much as it made sense - because they exactly covered the subject of a large male producing a female voice.

Hope these ideas help you.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Tom.

I agree with you about voice and character profile. However I have had what might be a great idea, which will make my hypnosis show really stand out. But only if I can pull it off. So I am going about the process backwards for once.

I will try your suggestions, and put in a bit of work. All the best.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
So let me guess - no puppet? Let me know how it goes! I'll be interested to hear how you work it into your show.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Wrong, Tom. There is a puppet. She is a domineering nurse with a filthy mind, and it is a double act, just for the student market. I have a moderate puppet ordered, and if the concept (and voice!) work, I have my eye on a gorgeous puppet. The breathiness was a good tip, but it is early days yet. I have two months to get this right.

Talking of no dummies, I love this Paul Zerdin clip, particularly the middle portion, when he goes out into the audience: http://youtu.be/Alx-bfCpC1M
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Not the first time I've been wrong! Hope you will share some video when you get the routine worked out!

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I will be a very happy man if I get the routine worked out. Tune in in September...
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. After working on my own for a while I went to a singing teacher and got a few lessons. The voice is not perfect yet, but Nurse Sonia had her first three outings this week, and is out again tomorrow. And the college crowd are loving her. After a few more performances I might put up a clip.

I have to say that few things have excited me as much as ventriloquism. The possibilities are awesome.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Try listening to different woman voices and notice their pitch, volume,accent etc.

I use this when creating different voices.

You don't have to be a mimic or get a voice exactly.

Just find one that matches your character. It could be from a cartoon, news show, movie.

I switch through the TV channels (when Annie is away) and try to match voices.

It's an idea I got from Pat Fraley on a C/D called the best Cartoon Voices stolen out of Hollywood.

Glad you are having a go at it.
At first I assumed you were going to do the old bit of giving a male volunteer a woman's voice.

And as we know a woman's voice does not have to be a falsetto.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Here's one in my repertoire. There is a range of techniques that blend well for a few female voices from a guys larynx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBTj-KR14k
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Steve. I went to a singing teacher, who got me to bring my voice up a few notches, and I got something acceptable. Comedy club audiences love the sassy nurse puppet, and she has also occasionally appeared in the kids shows. I may have a video in a few days. It has been fun working on something outside my comfort zone.
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
Going to a singing teach was a terrific idea. Would love to hear your nurse character.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Problems finding a woman's voice (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL