The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with windows 7 please (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I know I am late, but I just upgraded my computer from Windows XP to Windows 7. The upgrade went fine and it is a fine opperating system. My problem is that my disk is nearly full. I installed a few programs, but none of my documents, and the disk is already boardering on full. I ran disk clean, and that barely helped at all.

I did find, under the "c:" drive, all the programs in files that I used to have. Could this be what is filling up my drive? Can I just delete them? Most of them are not installed at this point. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Hard drives are cheap, and you could install a new one and transfer the files over.
Dennis Michael
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Just for some context, how large is the hard drive? How full was it under XP, if you remember?

In general, there is always the potential for some bloat when one migrates operating systems, but usually it shouldn't be too dramatic.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The drive is 145 gigs. Possibly small by today's standads. It was getting close to full, but I was under the impression that NOT reinstalling some of the programs I haven't used much, or pulling off all the documents, would have left me with plenty of room.
Magic is like Science,
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Windows 7 uses considerably more hard drive space than XP.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Mine is 55 Gb! Smile I guess I won't be upgrading to Windows 7 any time soon... or ever.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Many pics and vids? They can choke off the hard drive in a hurry.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Can you burn the old files to a DVD then delete some?
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
How about an external hard drive? I have one that can hold a hundred gig of backup for me, which is more than I need for my purposes. I'm sure they're available in much larger storage capacities.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Windows.old
Windows.001

Ccleaner and spacemonger may help to clean and to see what's taking up drive space.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Cliffg37 wrote:

I did find, under the "c:" drive, all the programs in files that I used to have. Could this be what is filling up my drive? Can I just delete them? Most of them are not installed at this point. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

If you didn't install them, yes, you can just delete them.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Yep, delete all the old programs that you didn't re-install. They are just taking up space.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Thanks Jonathan... That got the job done. I would not say I have plenty of room, but the drive is no longer nearly full. Now I can consider my options carefully and not make any rash decisions.
Magic is like Science,
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Dennis Michael wrote:
Hard drives are cheap, and you could install a new one and transfer the files over.

Dennis is right. Today's programs are getting bigger. You'll need more space going into the future. I'd look into a 1 or 2 Terabyte hard drive, they're not that expensive.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hmmm. Deleting the old files did the job I needed, and gave me about half the disk back, but you guys have a valid point. I went to "Frys" web site and found many internal hard drives for under $100. Some were 1 TB a few were 2 TB and there was even a 3 TB for $99.

Does anyone know what brands are best and what brands to stay away from?
Magic is like Science,
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I've always been satisfied with Western Digital hard drives.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Help with windows 7 please (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL