The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Malaysia Airlines Jet (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The rebels have captured many Ukrainian weapons. Many of the rebels are ex servicemen who might know how to use them. It is likely these captured Ukrainian weapons were made in Russia. That, if it turns out to be a Russian missile, will be the most likely defence from the Russians anyhow. They will probably come with a bill of sale, showing they sold it to the Ukrainians and they will blame them for not looking after it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's probably exactly what will happen.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Sad news indeed, But, what gets me is all the reports that a missille brought it down. Like a bullet killed someone, People kill people not missiles or bullets!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, Destiny wrote:
Just watching a very sad speech at the National Press Club of Australia on television - Professor Francoise Barre-Sinousi is President of the World AIDS Association and there were a large numbers of AIDS researchers on the flight, including a past president, on their way to a conference in Melbourne (and 27 Australians) and she's gone ahead with the speech despite friends and colleagues she's worked with in the past being on the plane.

Waste And Regret. Very sorry to hear of the loss of Australians on the flight Destiny.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
innermind
View Profile
Regular user
suburban Detroit
154 Posts

Profile of innermind
I worked 14 years in the airline industry, and I know that SOME companies will try to find ways to save money/reduce costs, even at the risk of POSSIBLY reducing safety.

So let's take a look at this---
A known unstable region, yet commercial flights have continued to utilize that air corridor...why?? (PERHAPS to save money on the fuel costs of re-routing flight paths elsewhere??)......hmmmm......I smell lawsuits from the families of the deceased passengers.

Sad story. My thoughts are with the friends and families of the victims.
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else." -Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I still cannot believe this is happening.

Regardless of how you think it happened...

Please spare a thought or a prayer, if you will, for all the victims and their families, also my whole grieving devastated country right now...

Thank you. Smile

Two tragedies with planes in such short spans of time... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, Mr. Danny wrote:
Sad news indeed, But, what gets me is all the reports that a missille brought it down. Like a bullet killed someone, People kill people not missiles or bullets!

Let's not bring NRA talking points into this. The plane was shot down by a missle fired by people on the ground. If they didn't have the missiles, the plane would have reached its destination and it's passengers would still be alive.

I now await the argument that they could have thrown knives at it to get the job done.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Please spare a thought or a prayer, if you will, for all the victims and their families, also my whole grieving devastated country right now...

Thank you. Smile

I am very sorry Pakar for what has happened. My sympathies and condolences.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, it is tragic. And it may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Malaysian Airlines is concerned.

That would surprise me. It is insured. And still the flagship airline in its main region.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Malaysian Airline System Opens Down 16% Friday

By Jason Ng

Shares of Malaysian Airline System Bhd. opened down 16% Friday following the loss of Flight 17 in Ukraine.
Malaysian Airline, which operates under the Malaysia Airlines brand, confirmed late Thursday that it lost contact with the plane, which carried 298 people including crew members. The plane crashed in the battle-torn east Ukraine region of Donetsk, where U.S. intelligence agencies say it was struck by a ground-to-air missile.

The stock opened at 0.19 ringgit ($0.06) a share, a level last seen on June 26, and hit a low of 0.185 ringgit on the Malaysian stock exchange. The country’s benchmark index FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI fell 0.5%.

“With two major incidents within six months, consumer sentiments on MAS safety record will be deeply affected, which further hamper[s] its hope to turnaround by 2015,” said Daniel Wong, a Kuala Lumpur-based analyst at Hong Leong Investment Bank Bhd.

The airline will have “a tough road ahead” to rebuild its image, Mr. Wong said; he kept a sell rating on the stock.
The latest incident comes as the airline is still reeling from the high-profile disappearance of Flight 370 more than four months ago.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Thank you. Smile

I am very sorry Pakar for what has happened. My sympathies and condolences.

Thank you my friend...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, it is tragic. And it may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Malaysian Airlines is concerned.

That would surprise me. It is insured. And still the flagship airline in its main region.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Malaysian Airline System Opens Down 16% Friday

By Jason Ng

Shares of Malaysian Airline System Bhd. opened down 16% Friday following the loss of Flight 17 in Ukraine.
Malaysian Airline, which operates under the Malaysia Airlines brand, confirmed late Thursday that it lost contact with the plane, which carried 298 people including crew members. The plane crashed in the battle-torn east Ukraine region of Donetsk, where U.S. intelligence agencies say it was struck by a ground-to-air missile.

The stock opened at 0.19 ringgit ($0.06) a share, a level last seen on June 26, and hit a low of 0.185 ringgit on the Malaysian stock exchange. The country’s benchmark index FTSE Bursa Malaysia KLCI fell 0.5%.

“With two major incidents within six months, consumer sentiments on MAS safety record will be deeply affected, which further hamper[s] its hope to turnaround by 2015,” said Daniel Wong, a Kuala Lumpur-based analyst at Hong Leong Investment Bank Bhd.

The airline will have “a tough road ahead” to rebuild its image, Mr. Wong said; he kept a sell rating on the stock.
The latest incident comes as the airline is still reeling from the high-profile disappearance of Flight 370 more than four months ago.

http://news.sky.com/story/1303406/malays......-refunds

An important fact is that the "Malaysian government owns 69% of the firm" and has an interest in keeping the airline alive. Which is a large part of why I think it (the airline) is likely to survive regardless of what Wall Street says.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The UN's International Civil Aviation Authority, based in Montreal, has rejected suggestions it should have issued a warning about flying civilian aircraft over a war zone. A spokesman told Reuters: "It's not our job." .... brother.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
We have gotten the black box and bodies back. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2014, tommy wrote:
The UN's International Civil Aviation Authority, based in Montreal, has rejected suggestions it should have issued a warning about flying civilian aircraft over a war zone. A spokesman told Reuters: "It's not our job." .... brother.

Be that as it may, it really was the job of the Ukrainian government / Ukrainian aviation officials to issue warnings or close the flying zone down.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/......zmp.html

http://online.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-k......05781508

A couple of excerpts from the links above:

Ukraine intelligence officials said they knew three days before the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 that rebels in the east of the country possessed sophisticated air-defense systems capable of felling a jetliner at altitudes in excess of where the Boeing BA -1.82% 777 was flying.

The disclosure deepens the mystery of why Ukrainian aviation officials failed to entirely close off the airspace in the Donetsk region, where the jet was flying went it was shot down, killing all 298 people on board.

But "the cash-strapped Ukrainian government was receiving overflight fees for each commercial flight above its territory and therefore had a financial incentive to keep the airspace open as long as possible."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Another Malaysia Airlines Jet (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL