The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Misdirection (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Yeah, I see what you mean. fortunately shattering the illusion doesn't happen often.

Wow, sorry about the cork funnel thing. You're brave to not let that stop you from performing.
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Don't always be in a rush to get to the sleight. You may be able to wait for an offbeat and execute it. This where the patter and presentation come in. If there's just awkward silence the audience is going to be waiting for you to do something. If you're just moving along, chatting, making a joke, etc, etc. All of a sudden the guard slips and then you go for it.
magic_man_jim
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magic_man_jim
I agree with reading vol 1 of the Book of Wonder. it will help you tremendously with your "direction" skills

I also believe confidence had a big part in it but more so in your effects. You need to know them inside and out. During your practicing that you do every day of the week try taking some of that time and look at it from every angle of every move you do in your head. Try to figure out exactly what an audience is going to see. With these views you can start seeing things you could improve on or need to adjust so that you have better audience control.

The psychology of an audience is important and trying to figure out where there eyes are going to be can help you make a script for your effect that will cause them to laugh or look up at you or anything that allows you to perform a secret move
Magic is not to fool...but allows you to believe!

Jim Boothe
www.jimboothemagic.com
jim@jimboothemagic.com
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
There's a lot of good information above, and I agree that you should work through those materials and take that advice. However, it may take a while before you are comfortable enough to pull off moves like the one you're describing. Work on the misdirection, but you could also swap out the move at the pants leg for something much easier.

One great way to practice the misdirection / feeling the "moment" is to do a top change at the end of every trick, right after the climax. You'll start to get a feel for it. And if someone would happen to see you, it doesn't matter, the trick was over and you were just "playing" with the cards.
Thehedge
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Thehedge
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, Atom3339 wrote:
I make my mistakes performing for magician friends and use their feedback.

Yes, it is safe to practice for magicians to try to identify mistakes that expose a move or method. Yet, I would be cautious about all feedback. Some magicians are great at giving advice, but every performer has own style and opinions. Sometimes magicians give the worst advice because they “think” they know what the audience wants and how they think. For clarification, I am not saying performing for magicians is wrong, but I caution feedback. Still, I perform tricks or routines that I am drafting for magicians too.

Performing for an audience is, in my opinion, the most effective way of learning timing, which is very important in misdirection. Yes, we make mistakes (hopefully not very often), but many magicians are performing magic across the world (professional and amateur) that is poorly executed, which gives opportunity for exposing the “secret”.

The performance as a whole should sell your magic, not just one move, but one wrong move can devalue your whole performance. “Details make perfection, and in perfection there are no details.”
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
A good way to get misdirection is make them laugh. For example, wouldn't it be a good trick if the card jumped back to the top? Too bad it doesn't work like that. Do the pass when they are laughing.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Mr. hedge, I TOTALLY agree with you. I am discerning about feedback. And most of my magician friends do NOT have my style. But they are all very talented and point out things I miss or can handle better.

BTW,guys, Why a discussion about MISDIRECTON without mentioning Ramsay???

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, melvinsoto wrote:
Well, sometimes when you need to get a move done on the side of your pants or else where (like when you flip the top card for the Amb.Car. Routine on Crash Course 2, you need some direction or well as most people call it misdirection, the thing is that no matter how much I try I bring up my right hand showing them their card, I suddenly bring down my hand and start making the move, but at least 1 in every 3 groups of people, look down and tell me, what you doing there. I just go like "I was scratching my self haha" and I sell it, but I don't really want people to notice, any tips?

Melvin,

What we call "misdirection" is actually "attention direction." It's often not a matter of where we don't want them to look; it's a matter of where we DO want them to look.

If you find they're constantly looking at the wrong hand, it's because that hand is the most interesting thing to look at in that moment. You have to make that hand non-important and give them something else that's more important. Until you do this, you're always going to have this problem.

Best,

L-
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
[quote]On Aug 20, 2014, Lance Pierce wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2014, melvinsoto wrote:
.......Melvin,

What we call "misdirection" is actually "attention direction." It's often not a matter of where we don't want them to look; it's a matter of where we DO want them to look.

If you find they're constantly looking at the wrong hand, it's because that hand is the most interesting thing to look at in that moment. You have to make that hand non-important and give them something else that's more important. Until you do this, you're always going to have this problem.

Best,

L-

I agree with this.

I would also suggest that as well as the good advice already offered, learning and performing a good card to pocket routine or deck vanish routine can do wonders for your understanding of direction of attention.
Tom Stone's one coin routine (and lectures e.g. Vanishing Inc DL or Penguin) has some very good and accessible work on directing attention.

Charlie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Misdirection (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL