The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Selfworkers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I love both self-workers and SOH.

One of the key differences, IMHO and limited experience, is that 'visual' effects (transpositions, teleportations) and heavy gambling demos tend to require sleights (DLs, colour changes, p*lming etc), whereas revelations, predictions, memory demonstrations and the like can often be stronger relying on principles more than dexterity.

The combination of head and hand magic is often devestating (especially with gimmicks)!

There are many great resources for learning both, so e already have been mentioned. I'm particularly fond of Gerry Griffins Complete Card Magic DVD set, which has both SOH and SW effects.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, CraigMcK wrote:
Are the ultimate self working DVDs a good investment then?

I love them. They are consistently good throughout. Not every trick will blow you away, but so far - at least for me - no clinkers. However, each DVD has 2 or 3 standout effects that you will want to begin using immediately. Buy the first DVD and see if it works for you. The second two follow the same format and are of equal, if not better quality. So if you like the first volume, odds are you will like the series.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
CraigMcK
View Profile
New user
Only managed
50 Posts

Profile of CraigMcK
Thanks Wizard! I'd been thinking about buying these for a while now but was worried they weren't worth it. Guess I'll be adding them to the Christmas list!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
CraigMck, magic under the tree or in the stocking is like being a kid again.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
I especially like self-workers. It isn't that I don't have the dexterity in my fingers (I have played piano for over 50 years), but I have to deal with local hyperhidrosis (uncontrollable sweating without any warning, in my particular case, the hands). Piano keys don't mind this, but decks of cards do. Sleight of hand is pretty much out of the picture for me as I am lucky to do two self-working card tricks in a row before the deck becomes pretty useless (cards sticking together, etc.). This is a great thread...keep those suggestions coming!
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2014, Alex R. Weinberg wrote:
I think presentation is just as important as any effect. Therefore, when starting out self working tricks are a great place to start.

Hello Alex!

I am definitely NOT a cardician! I do very few card tricks (even the "self working" variety!) But, I have been "around: for over 68 years, (About 21 as a part time professional, and about 42 as a full time pro. I've been officially retired for 5 years, but still do a few shows. So, I think I'me qualified (!!!) to comment on your post!

I'm sure that you mean well, and I think that you gave some thought to your comment, (here comes the "but"!--or "however")

In a fine restaurant, presentation is considered as important as the food itself. and the preparation of the food is not far behind!

I think that a few definitions of terms are important, and, since it is evident that you care, I would like to clarify, just a bit.

The "effect" is what the spectator "sees", or "THINKS HE SEES" The "effect" is what makes the "magic" happen--in the spectator mind!

The "presentation" is the manner in which the magician "performs" the "trick". The "presentation" helps to create the "effect", and helps to make the "effect"

ENTERTAINING!!!!! ("Magic" is NOT INHERENTLY ENTTERTAINING!) The "presentation" is CRITICAL to making "magic", ENTERTAINING!!!!

I fully realize that it's diffiecult to express, in "cold print", these abstract technical terms. Too many magicians just use terms loosely, and that is one of the reasons that magicians tend to be "looked down on" by agents. I am not implying that you deliberately use terms loosely. That's why I've tried to express these points as diplomatically as possible.

I have been friends with a great many of the finest card men in the last 50 years. --Men like Alex Elmhsley, Charles Miller, Dai Vernon, Jon Racherbaumer, Johnny Thompson, Daryl Martinez, Jack Pyle, Ed Marlo, et al. IMHO, their presentation, plus their skill, are what make them great.

Thanks for listening! --and Best Wishes!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
The ultimate self working DVD's are good.

Gemini Twins is a great selfworking trick

There are so many to chose from. I love doing all types of card tricks - but self workers I find very fun to do and perform (and try to figure out)!
FatherWilliam57
View Profile
New user
Beaver, PA
73 Posts

Profile of FatherWilliam57
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, brandontoh wrote:
Selfworking card tricks are amazing I think because the magician doesn't have to touch the cards too much, so the spectators cannot dismiss the magic by simply thinking 'sleight of hand'.

It IS more powerful in the other person's hands. As I mentioned above, my hands perspire unexpectedly; I use magic tricks in most of my children's sermons, but rarely card tricks because of this. And yet, I always carry a deck of cards in my jacket pocket. Sometimes a family will come to my office, or I will be talking to one of the children during fellowship after worship. They want to see a trick. They know my hands sweat, which gives me a built-in excuse for placing the cards in their hands. Getting them to shuffle for me, as well as following my instructions for laying out the cards (without revealing anything), really gets the kids' attention when the trick "works." They just can't figure out "how THEY did it." And if you involve a child in a trick, you automatically have the parents' attention as well. When the reveal comes (with me handling the cards very little or even not at all), the adults are just as awe-struck as their child. I also know I had better have another trick ready to go next week, because they will be after me again!
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
"If this be magic, let it be an art..." - Leontes
(Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Selfworkers (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL