The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Potential client requests a live demo (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, David Thiel wrote:

You need to have certainty about two things: the power of your abilities to sell what you do AND the ability to detect whether or not this is an actual opportunity to show what you do in front of real potential clients. If you KNOW you have a solid act and you know these are "for-real" clients why would you NOT go for it?

In this case would I do a "free 15 minute demo?" Nope. I would go in and meet with them. I would play to the VP and at least one other person on the committee with one or two chosen effects. The rest of my time would be spent finding out more about their events, their clients -- what they expect to come out of the shows etc...and explaining how I fit into their plans (given that I do.)

Brett,

I really can't add anything helpful. David put it as well as it can be expressed. And Bob nailed the bottom line - Why not?

Personally, I wouldn't do 15 minutes. S@%*, you know sales as well as anyone. Why would you treat this any differently than your business.

Let them do most of the talking, ask a couple of intelligent questions and hit them with one (David suggests a couple) demonstration(s).

Anyway, I'm sure it will go well. Keep us up to date.

Warm regards,

Scott Smile
p.s. Iain and Bob got me into using these stupid smiley faces. Can't believe it...

Thanks Scott -

I did 3 effects - and they were all pretty killer (PK, QB and booked). The VP (who was actually the company owner) had her sister there and I did the PK with the two of them across the room (didn't know they were sisters until after the effect was done).

But ya the best part was learning the clients needs and explaining how I could fit into their event of 400 guests. As many of you kinow I have a sales background already which can be helpful in handling questions and making the close (let the client essentailly close themselves).

Yes the smiley faces are cute - stick with 'em Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Happy all went well!

Warm regards,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
So did you get the gig? And did they have other performers coming in to "audition?"
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Yes. That's what I want to know. I bet he was the only one.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
He says he got the job in the post above.
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
Yes but he didn't say if he was the only one under consideration.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
He says he got the job in the post above.

Where? I didn't see that in his post. The word "booked" was the title of an effect he did- at least that's how I took it.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
He wrote this...
I did the demo this morning and they booked me on the spot - handed me a deposit check - done.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Oh. I overlooked that post and was simply going by his last one.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Yeah, they looked like duplicate posts at first glance.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You guys are awesome!

My understanding is they were going to interview others. That's what the owner/vp stated when I arrived.

The interview started on this exciting note: "Are you going to pull a rabbit out if a hat," she asked.

That's always a great mentalist starter right? 😄

I did some interviewing of their needs first as you guys suggested, and then explained what a mentalist does - then went right into some routines.

My final words were to thank everyone in the room. The vp then told her assistant to engage my services and said "no need to interview anyone else." They gave me a credit card today for deposit - all happy - and learned something new today.

Fear not the client try out if it feels solid and legit.

Thanks again to all you guys.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
You were lucky that time. Congratulations! Oddly enough you have confirmed to me that my policy of not doing cattle calls is the right one. You were obviously the first one in. What would have happened if you were the second or third one to come in but somebody equally good got there before you? They would have been hired because they got there first.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I was paid once to audition for a trade show pitch against another performer. It was awesome cause it was the company that was going to put the movie screens in jetblue airplanes. They paid my trip to Orlando and paid for the audition.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2014, Marmen wrote:
You were lucky that time. Congratulations! Oddly enough you have confirmed to me that my policy of not doing cattle calls is the right one. You were obviously the first one in. What would have happened if you were the second or third one to come in but somebody equally good got there before you? They would have been hired because they got there first.

Yes in my sales job I would always ask if they were interviewing others and I preferred to go last.

But selling houses is not quite the same as selling entertainment.

With a house there was always the component of people shopping for a salesperson who tells them what the customer thinks their home was worth. They might want to see 2-3 agents before one tells them what they want to hear.

In entertainment I think I would prefer to be first, then try to seal the deal after the demo.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
I was asked to do this twice in 30 years, both clients booked, one them for many years and counting, small company called Con Edison,
and it was quite lucrative., bit of effort payed off for me.

Nowadays with references and video, should not be much of a problem.

I also no longer really advertise , I work via word of mouth & referrals.

The idea is not to get clients that are looking for a magician or a mentalist, rather looking for you spicifically.
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
I think it comes down to using your common sense and your intuition. It's not cut and dry. I would not let my ego dictate how I would handle this type of request, I would use my business sense. In most cases I think I would do it, in some cases maybe not.
Marmen
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Marmen
I will do it most of the time providing nobody else is under consideration. If that is the case then they can go and stuff themselves. At the same time I put a hex on the other magicians for being such a nuisance and getting in the way.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yup - thankss again for all the input you guys.

Hey Renzo - thanks for the feedback and I liked your site a lot.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Yup - thankss again for all the input you guys.

Hey Renzo - thanks for the feedback and I liked your site a lot.

Thank you buddy, nothing wrong with a little hands on promotion.
Sometimes people just want to get a feel of who you are in person.

So as long as they are not asking you to drive 3 hrs for the 15 min demo, lol

All the best to you!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
I think it comes down to using your common sense and your intuition. It's not cut and dry. I would not let my ego dictate how I would handle this type of request, I would use my business sense. In most cases I think I would do it, in some cases maybe not.

Pretty much makes sense?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Potential client requests a live demo (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL