The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dell: A Horrible Mistake (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I wanted to give my father a PC for Christmas, and so bought him a Dell.

That was about two months ago. And still, even as I write this... I am not even close to getting them to send someone over to help set the thing up.

If I wanted to play with parts, I would have paid MUCH less and built/installed a PC for him. This was supposed to be a hands off operation. Money in exchange for equipment, service and support.

Just so you know, my father is over 80 and this is his first computer. He calls and tells me the boxes are there and the people he calls on the numbers in on the papers are less than helpful and keep wanting strange codes he does not understand. This is not quite the service I wanted to buy him or get involved in.

Does anyone know the most efficient method to navigate DELL? I'd like to get an email from him before spring.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Try this link. and then click create account on the left hand side. (You'll need the Service Tag (aka Serial Number) to sign up. There are also links to Phone Numbers and to email addys..
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
I've always had great experiences with Dell. Unless you can build your own, I think it would be hard to do better than to purchase a Dell.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I am typing this on my new dell laptop.......LOVE IT and it was not pricey either...

Jeff
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I think what might be wrong is the genral consensus that computers are easy and meant for everyone.

I really don't think this is the case, you cannot just jump into a computer without some understanding about it.

You can't get through a book without learning how to read, just as you can't use a computer without learning how to use one.

Sorry if I am coming off jaded, I really wish good luck to you and your grandfather getting the computer up and running. It is just that I really don't agree with the kind of people that buy a computer and have no idea how it works or the desire to learn go around complaining about computers and saying how they are suppose to be easy.

What part is he having trouble with? It should come pre-installed with an operating system, and other than that you just have to plug in the power, keyboard, mouse, speakers, moniter and it should start right up.

There should be color-coded instructions and cables for him to follow.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I have heard of similar experiences over here in NZ. As long as people don't have any problems, then they are fine, but the support when things do go wrong (as they will with computers!) has not been brilliant.

I hope they get it sorted out soon for you JonTown.

On a lighter note, I just fixed a computer for the grandparents of a friend of mine, and they are 93 and 91! They have a digital camera, a scanner, they surf the net...
I think its an incredible thing to grasp at their age!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Quote:
On 2004-01-21 14:20, ChrisZampese wrote:

On a lighter note, I just fixed a computer for the grandparents of a friend of mine, and they are 93 and 91! They have a digital camera, a scanner, they surf the net...
I think its an incredible thing to grasp at their age!

I thought that when I helped my wife's grandmother whos' in her eighties. But thinking about it, can you imagine the changes they've faced in their lifetime? From the invention of cars to the introduction of television. Mains powered radios, vacuum cleaners, irons and fridges, rocket power, space exploration, we've come along way in their time. We're now so advanced we can watch a man sitting in a box for six weeks. Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
We have two Dell computers - an old Windows 98 'Optiplex' model I believe it's called which I use for maintaining our website. We also have this latest state of the art model which operates Windows XP. The latter has had continual problems with graphics cards. Other than this no complaints, however, a British TV Consumer Programme has criticised Dell rather severely over the past couple of weeks for service and support. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's today, and about eight hours of phone time later, and still no install for my father. What a way to get a first computer. He says the boxes are sitting there taking up space in the living room. Which for a small NYC apartment is not a good thing. More news as it happens.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dell: A Horrible Mistake (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL