The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For The Beginners. A Dan Harlan Framework On Which To Build An Act (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So how do you put together a show? How do you structure it? It's all theory, and I'm sure there are many excellent systems, but I really like Dan Harlan's system that he explains in his "Packs Small, Plays Big" DVD's. 

I bet it will help some of the newer guys here. 

Dan first of all uses a "show sheet", which he shows on the DVD. He calls it his "Triple Trilogy Show Planning Form".  It consists of nine effects. Three sections of three. 

Effect # 1 is your first impression effect. For instance, in the multi- purpose show he starts off with "Starcle".

Effect # 2 is your "Get Acquainted" effect. Effect # is a wrap up of the first two.

Then comes the next three. Effect # 4 Dan suggests something unique and different. Effect # 5 is something of a visual, quick nature. And # 6 is something to display your skill, your dexterity or perhaps a classic of magic.

The last three wrap up the show. So # 7 is a relaxed effect, a lead in for # 8 which will be a blockbuster or showstopper. And the final effect, # 9 is an effect to leave a lasting impression. Dan suggests a joke, a quick story, or something a little bit different. Dan's final effect on his multi-purpose  show is a wand from coin purse. 

And that's about it. It's basically a "framework" from which you can hang your effects. It gives a nice ROUNDED show, and your audience leaves feeling like they have really seen something! (Because they have!) 

I highly recommend Dan'd DVD's on this series. They are quite excellent and will get you off on a good foot. 

Happy magic to you,

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'm a big fan of Dan Harlan!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Me also. His creative magic brain never stops.
Taconinguy
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Taconinguy
So I was trying to search for the dvds you have said cannot find them? ( pack small play big)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
They are at L&L publishing. www.llpub.com

Posted: Aug 7, 2014 04:38 am
Even better : http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......n+harlan
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've used Dan's method of putting my show together for years. It's an excellent method and gets great results. The show makes a logical progression and doesn't have the "put together at the last minute" feel. I actually attended a show where the performer (a professional magician) did a couple of tricks, and then said "Let's see, what can I do now?" - and started looking through his props. Didn't make a very good impression on me or the audience.

Jim
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup. Dan's the man!

I think with Dan's system the main thing is that if you follow the framework, you will give them a well ROUNDED show. It will have a good balance. They will leave feeling like they truly have SEEN something. Simply because they have!

That is the reason I HIGHLY reccomend it to beginners. I'm sure there are other systems out there, but I think you'll be hard pressed beating what Dan offers.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
Dan has also written the system up in a great set of notes, entitled "Warning: prolonged exposure may induce severe brain trauma".

Catchy title!

Alan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Are the notes for sale? Do the notes tell anything in detail beyond what Dan teaches on the DVD's?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For The Beginners. A Dan Harlan Framework On Which To Build An Act (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL