The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A strike of "luck" and need of help. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

userismyname
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of userismyname
Hi.
I'm not a magician and never be one either (at least not a good one)
Here my story and a call for help:
By some absurd strike of luck, I have convinced some friends of mine that I have some "supernatural powers" and connection to the "other side".
It's a very long story so I'm not gonna bore you with all the details.
Anyway, what I was wondering about is the best tricks to keep up their good faith in my extraordinary "powers".
I'm clumsy as hell, but a very good actor Smile
I bought some invisible tread and it worked well, but I used half an hour on the toilet just to get the thread correctly.
Cardtricks is not my favorite, as I feel it's too connected to "magic" meaning if you have a impressive card trick it means you are a good magician.
Some user in this forum wrote that when he was doing levetation tricks, he started when nobody was watching and when someone "accidentally" observed this, he'd be passive and holding back, playing the act that he had powers he didn't want the whole world to see that he had.
This is the approach I want to use as well. And then playing cards kind of kills the mood if you understand what I mean.
Invisible thread was really good, but with my clumsy use, it is not as handy.
I have looked at the following props as right in my lane, but need some more info. And I am open to other suggestions as well.
I am also looking to buy the props listed here, either 2nd hand or new. (I live in Norway)
1: Spider pen (+). I understand it has a silent motor etc. Will this give me all the benefits of an invisible thread but without half an hour of work? Do I need wax when using spider pen?
2: Electric Touch + - I LOVE the effect of this prop and really hope someone can sell me one. I found some on ebay, but mostly from China and I need mine within 10 days
3: Exploding lightbulb. This could be really good as well, but can they be remotely exploded or do I have to hold it in my hand? Best effect for me would be if it can explode on distance, while the bulb in the lamp.
4; automatic bending key. could be good for me, but read some reviews that it never can be 100% "flat". And if it works on heat, then anybody watching could repeat the trick right afterwords?
that's my four favorites that I've found so far but open for suggestions. By the way: Is there something like "magnetic Gel" or cream? doesn't have to be very strong, just moving small stuff around Smile
Thank you.
Regards Andrew
Sackninja
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Sackninja
I don't have the trick but coinvexed 3 could be good for you. Its about 120 dollars and give you the ability to bend a signed borrowed coin in someone else's hand.you wouldn't get the whole starting the trick without anyone watching and as I don't have it I can't say if its very hard. Its just the first thing that came to mind.

Don't know about magnetic gel.
Sanderr
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
201 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Yesterday I bought Soul Paper by Rick Lax for 5 bucks in the Penguin Cool Box. In this effect you talk about witch doctors sucking up the soul of someone who passed away, maybe it fits you? Full price is 10 bucks, this is the link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3498.

The effect goes like this: you ask the spectator to write the initials of someone who is no longer with us on a piece of paper, then you draw a stick figure on paper and light it up. The ashes rise, you catch them and suck them up (don't have to), and reveal the initials the spectator wrote down.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
You should visit the Spooky, Mysterious, Bizarre section of the Café.

And check you the magic of Derren Brown.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
First, visit your library and go to 793.8. If they don't have a decent selection there, they can almost always borrow from other libraries.

Second, go to sankeymagic.com and sign up for the free tricks. Then look at some of his other stuff. Most of it is cards or coins, but even so it's not like a "magic trick" if you do enough work to present it right.

And that is the secret to everything in this biz. You say you're a good actor? Real acting is good enough to draw the spectator into the scene and make them not care it's supposed to be impossible.

Do the work. Or spend all your money on props that are supposed to do the work for you - and then find out you were wrong and you're still out the money.

Or maybe don't do it at all.
Ed
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Do a seance and talk to the spirits.
userismyname
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of userismyname
Hi.

thank you all for good feedback.
"Krowboom": I've already tried seanses several times but I always end up totally drunk and wasted on the floor. These spirits is not good for me
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Wrong kind of spirits Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
A lot of "impromptu" tricks would work well. One that comes to mind is "melting" a wrapped drinking straw.

I don't recall who did it originally, but someone has published a routine for it. You should be able to find it in an online magic shop somewhere as a download.

Finn Jon was known for always being set up with multiple IT rigs. No reels, just static IT. I've seen him do this. Just sitting at a table enjoying a drink and someone came up and asked him to show them something. He casually pulled out an unlit cigarette from the pack on the table and with a flick of a finger from a foot or two away the cigarette jumped up and off the table.

He'd always be prepared, and if the opportunity passed him by, he'd just get up and walk away, breaking all the setups in the process.

To answer your question about the Spider Pen, yes you need wax or something similar to attach the loose end.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
LewisF
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of LewisF
I've posted this a number of times now but lubor's lens is cheap and could be construed as altering matter.
Control 2.0 by Wayne Houchin or his Stigmata are pretty freaky effects. Sweet by Matthew Johnson is pretty easy but he has a creepy presentation. Some metal bending routines are likely to create links to Uri Geller cementing the idea of the supernatural.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A strike of "luck" and need of help. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL