The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking with a Rubik's Cube (Feedback Please) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Hi Guys,

The season is in full swing and its going amazing. I wish all of you here fat hats and a great summer. I posted my finale a few weeks ago and got some great feedback. I decided to work a tuesday which I normally don't do.... But I got some amazing footage and thought I would share it with you guys. You guys gave me a bunch of great tips that I added to my show..... and would love more feedback!

A few things about my show and myself.... Its a sidewalk / half circle show.... It usually lasts around 18 mintues start to finish. I have been busking for the past 3 years... and performing magic full time for the past 2 years. Last year I had an entirely different show... but wanted to keep it fresh so I started to work on this show. While I personally LOVE card magic... I have kinda taken it out of my show except for one small trick. I kinda like being known as the Rubik's Cube Guy. It's gives me a nice niche and something different then cups and balls. Nothing against cups and balls.. but I feel that most people overuse it and are not original enough.

Enjoy the VIDEO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrpATAI9Gk
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I like your idea of the cube act. I would suggest a chop cup routine with a small cube = finale it is solved. or dice stacking with cubes.
you routine with the blind fold is good. I like the jokes in between but it is lacking some punch. is it possible to engage the people in clapping or use a music? just thinking out load could you do two in 2 hands blindfolded.

i love to see the whole show some day. keep going. my compliments.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
I like it a lot!
Here are two ideas:
1. Since you're using two cubes, how about solving one in each hand (at the same time)?
2. Check out Sach's Dice. You may be able to come up with a routine that fits your act.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Great job! Stick with the "Rubik's Cube" theme. You are correct that this will make you stand out from others. I really like the way you engage your audience, very warm with great smiles. It shows you are having fun and that allows them to have fun with you. Think about costuming - maybe a vest with colorful geometric designs? Robert is right about adding some "punch"...........maybe structuring an emotional build to the successful completion of your finale......race against time in successful completion of the cube?
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2014, LeoH wrote:
Great job! Stick with the "Rubik's Cube" theme. You are correct that this will make you stand out from others. I really like the way you engage your audience, very warm with great smiles. It shows you are having fun and that allows them to have fun with you. Think about costuming - maybe a vest with colorful geometric designs? Robert is right about adding some "punch"...........maybe structuring an emotional build to the successful completion of your finale......race against time in successful completion of the cube?

I used to where a vest and tuck in the shirt. I have taken off the vest pretty recently. It allows for a more casual look and allows me to be more comfortable. I love the idea of adding a emotional hook toward the end. I will have to think about some ways to do that.
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2014, RiffRaff wrote:
I like it a lot!
Here are two ideas:
1. Since you're using two cubes, how about solving one in each hand (at the same time)?
2. Check out Sach's Dice. You may be able to come up with a routine that fits your act.

I can probably do it with both hands.... That might be a little more impressive. It will be a little harder to do.. but it can be done. I might try it on the street and see how it plays out!
acephale
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of acephale
Ron Dunphy at the Pike Place Market in Seattle started out doing Rubik's Cube and twirling notepads, over the past year or two he's been putting in more magic. Great guy and well worth checking out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking with a Rubik's Cube (Feedback Please) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL