The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Special Needs Adults Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hello friends!

I didn't know where to post this call for help. This isn't exactly the right section. But this is where I spend most of my time, so I thought some of you could help. Ive been hired to do a special needs adult show, a stand up show, and I'm wondering what type of effects you might recommend. I perform adult magic shows, mixed ages shows, and children's shows, but this is my first adult special needs show. I've read another post that suggested visual effects and less patter. I was wondering if any of you who have done these types of shows could comment on my current show list? Thank you for any help with this! (and again, posting this in "The Little Darlings" section isn't meant to suggest that special needs adults are children)

Chop cup w/ tennis ball loads
Sponge balls
3 Card Joe
Misers Dream
Danny Orleans Coloring Book
Cut and restored rope of Professors Nightmare, then Fiber Optics
Smokey Mountain Pizza Oven
Water Monte
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Nope, it's not inappropriate, though I'd rather you had been more specific about WHAT special needs ... saying only that, it might be intellectually challenged, mentally ill, veterans with PTSD, wheelchair-bound, anything.

Your proposed routine sounds OK to me.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Great question, Ross. I asked and she said "a diverse spectrum." I'm assuming "intellectually challenged." I don't believe "mentally ill."

Thank you!
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Do NOT make the mistake of talking down to them or assuming that they'll be entertained by children's material. Take your adult show just in case you need it. I've done shows like this and despite what I've been told by the booker I've realised 30 seconds into it that the audience will respond to adult material much better than kiddy material.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I agree, use adult material. They are adults, and some will have normal mental capacity for their age, whilst others will not.

Here is what I perform as my "A" show for these events:

Comedy Sword Swallow
King's Crossing
Dean's Box
Puppet Mask
Celebrity Smart Ass
Dark Museum
Passing Water
Bill in Lemon
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Thanks Mick and Potty! Your responses are very helpful. I think I'll just plan on doing my standard adult show. If I have to slow down or repeat things, that's fine by me! I imagine I'll just have to be a bit more explicit at times.
Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
I've enjoyed these shows. I like teaching them a trick they can do and allowing them to perform it. I also use volunteers a lot. Make sure you use people first language. For example: adults with special needs as opposed to special needs adults. When I work the old west festival there are a lot of group homes who visit and they are very fun to perform for.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Thanks Grasshop. You're right. I always say "children with disabilities." Don't know why I didn't say that for adults. Thanks for the reminder!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2014, Grasshop34 wrote:
I've enjoyed these shows. I like teaching them a trick they can do and allowing them to perform it. I also use volunteers a lot. Make sure you use people first language. For example: adults with special needs as opposed to special needs adults. When I work the old west festival there are a lot of group homes who visit and they are very fun to perform for.

Really? I kind of get why, but isn't this Political Correctness gone mad? Thanks for the tip, though, it's not something I'd have thought of.

The last adults with special needs I've performed for had varying levels of physical ability - those who were mentally alert tended to be the ones with the most challenging physical conditions, and vice versa. Some had both mental and physical incapacities.

They really do enjoy silly stuff, especially as they live in a protected environment, and tend to be somewhat "naive" in terms of humour - so I included some kids gags - I might have even included one comedy wand, for a quick laugh - and they love visual stuff like Passing Water.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
This is some of what I have done for a state run set of group homes. Adults with varying disabilities not able to live on their own.

Appearing Cane /Vanish cane
Mouth coil
Russian Rings
8' straw from McDonalds bag
Needle Through Balloon
Cut and restored rope
Sponge ball routine
coloring book
Block of rope
Tip over production box
Silk color change routine
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Special Needs Adults Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL