The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Wondering about Broadcast Private Messages » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I was wondering whether there was any way to filter broadcast private messages.

There appears to be an abundance of these messages concerning decks of cards. I am sure that there are a great many magicians who are avid collectors of cards, so I understand the excitement and desire to announce new decks. I am not a collector myself, and I would like to eliminate being included on these announcements. Is that possible? If not, have you given any thought to implementing a capability like this?

0pus
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
When you registered as a member on the MagicCafe, you agreed to the terms which included receiving these PM's from Steve Brooks, The Magic Bakery and the the Magic Café. Many folks are interested in these announcements. If you don't want to read them, just delete them which you can do by clicking on the delete this PM noted at the bottom of the page.

Quote:
members may receive announcements or special offers via private message from The Magic Café and its sponsors, or The Magic Bakery regarding magical products or events which we feel may be of interest to our magical members. When you sign up as a member of the Magic Café you agree to receiving such notices from us as part of your FREE membership. This is a small price to pay for free access to such a great resource such as The Magic Café. Besides, if the message does not interest you, delete it
Where the magic begins
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I thought my question was polite and very civil. I was not objecting to the practice, merely asking if it could be more focused. From your crabby response, I wonder if you even read my question.

By the way, don't you think that "Broadcast Private Message" is an oxymoron?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I thought Dave's response re: messages Broadcast to everyone via the Private Message system was polite and civil, myself.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2014, 0pus wrote:
I thought my question was polite and very civil. I was not objecting to the practice, merely asking if it could be more focused. From your crabby response, I wonder if you even read my question.

By the way, don't you think that "Broadcast Private Message" is an oxymoron?

Sorry if that't the way you interpreted my response but what part of my response did you feel was crabby? You asked if the practice could be more focused and I explained the process for broadcast messages, attaching the rule so you'd know where my response came from. It sounds to me like you were looking for the answer you wanted to hear and not the way things are.

And no, I don't think "broadcast Private message" is an oxymoron. The message is sent as a Private message to every member so they can make the decision what to do with it. If it were posted in the forums, you haven't the ability to delete it if you weren't interested.

Thanks for the comment Chessman.
Where the magic begins
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Opus,

Dave was not crabby, merely matter of fact in his manner.

These Broadcast Private Messages help pay for the Café.

Since I haven't any interest in all these decks of cards either, I just delete 'em. (but I'm awfully tired after clicking delete).

Mary Mowder
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I don't think there was any "crabbiness" intended. As we all know from many threads here, the written word carries no emotion so it if often taken way out of context.

I have seen the same question asked several times and the answer is always the same from Dave. No crabbiness intended, just a reminder of "the fine print" (so to speak) My stock answer to the question (people at my magic club ask me about it all the time) is.

"Steve Brooks has provided us a place to meet and study as well as ask and reply to all things magic - absolutely FREE. It is his site, he pays for it (with some help from donations) to keep it up for us since 2001? Therefore, if he wants to send out a couple PM's a month to all (some of which people will act on) with the ability to instantly delete if it isn't for you. Then it is certainly his prerogative. and I can deal with it for all the free content he provides." I don't mean anything crabby by this, just a simple reminder that it is a free site (paid for by advertising) and far less intrusive than most free apps on your phone. Smile

Furthermore, I urge people to click on a sponsor link from time to time to help in funding the site. It isn't very painful at all.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Wondering about Broadcast Private Messages » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL