The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Help on how to market new reveal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gordmer
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
15 Posts

Profile of gordmer
Hi Guys, relatively new to magic (last 3 or 4 years) and I have come up with a new reveal that I think is pretty cool. Spectator freely chooses a card and places it back in the deck, the magician produces an old chain with a medallion holding a smokey grey black stone from around his neck... he tells the spectator a tale of the minds eye... a mystic stone that can see his thoughts... he asks the spectator to gaze into the stone and concentrate on his card... slowly the smokey grey stone begins to change before his eyes and the number and suit of the spectators card is revealed... I have a prototype medallion and two different scenarios, one a card reveal and the other a symbol prediction I call pharoahs stone... I have no idea how to market this... and no idea how to make a production video... any ideas or anyone with experience who would like to partner with me? I presented a theory idea similar to the about to theory11 but no feedback but I was hesitate to divulge too much about the gimmick or present a video because I don't want anyone stealing this before I got to present it properly... any ideas?
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
If you think that your method will get exposed even from a performance video, then good luck with it.
Best,

-Avik
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Go to Penguin Magic's home page. Near the top left corner is a button that says "Are you a Performer?" Click this button.
gordmer
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
15 Posts

Profile of gordmer
@Avik... I guess I didn't make that clear lol... I did not want to explain the gimmick is what I meant... and I wanted to present a decent video, I am not the greatest performer yet (or maybe I just lack the confidence in myselelf) I have done this trick on dozens of friends and they are all fooled completely. Other magicians however will know at least how some of the trick works... the "magic" is in the reveal.

cheers
gordmer
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
15 Posts

Profile of gordmer
Thanks wwhokie1.... I have posted there and already have responses. Hope to have this project up and ready soon. Smile
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
304 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, gordmer wrote:
Other magicians however will know at least how some of the trick works... the "magic" is in the reveal.

So you are saying that the build up to the reveal is based on already known principles? I guess that's not at all bad. If the reveal is the climax, i.e. the USP of the effect, even then I'd suggest you to make a performance video. In any case your effect is solely meant for laypeople, isn't that what every magic effect is up to ? If you think that the "reveal" might get revealed from the performance video itself, at least to magicians, then it's definitely a matter of concern, since such things happen these days quite frequently where not-so-honest people take advantage of these.

Even if you'd like to have a partner in the production, they'd surely want to have a demo first.

I'd urge you to give a thought as to your medium of explanation, whether you'd like to release this in video format or in written format. Both have their pros and cons, but you'd be best person to judge which one will be suitable for your effect. In this regard I'd like to mention about the effect YAMFACAAN by R Paul Wilson. The effect was a killer for laypeople. However, Paul didn't release a video demo for the effect, though the instruction was delivered in video format. The reason was simple; the method was transparent to magicians. Paul had his preferred audience in mind, and I guess he took the right decision. I perform YAMFACAAN regularly for laypeople with great reaction.

If this is your first release, then congratulations, and wish all the very best for your product. I'd suggest you to contact Chris Wasshuber of Lybrary.com. He's a gentleman in the truest sense, and as I've experienced myself, He's really the one to guide new developers. I got my first 3 ebooks published through Lybrary, and Chris guided and helped me like anything. He has got many years of experience as magic literature publisher, and I strongly believe he'll help you if you explain your situation to him.

Once again good luck with your venture.
Best,

-Avik
gordmer
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
15 Posts

Profile of gordmer
Thanks Avik... lets say this, I am not sure all magicians will figure out the reveal but knowing the manipulation makes it much easier to figure out. The layperson doesn't know the manipulation principles thus the reveal is almost impossible for them to figure out. The fear is always that someone will steal it before release, once released that fear is gone for two reasons... first most magicians will buy an original and hate people who steal other peoples ideas. second... to build one gimmick for oneself would cost as much as to buy the trick outright, so unless they plan on making a bunch to sell it doesn't make much sense.

The one downfall I see to the non-performance part is how many magicians will buy an idea without seeing it work.
Thanks for your encouragement and information. cheers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Help on how to market new reveal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL