The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Boulder County Fair shuts down 'World's Smallest Woman' exhibit (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
From those wonderful folks in The Peoples Republic of Boulder...

Quote:
The Boulder County Fair has shut down the "Little Liz, the World's Smallest Woman" sideshow at the carnival after two parents complained to county authorities.

The attraction, advertising the chance to see and photograph a 29-inch-tall woman from Haiti, was closed Thursday evening. The first complaint came in Thursday afternoon.

"There was kind of an 'ick factor' to it," said Carrie Haverfield of the Boulder County Commissioners' Office, who took that call. "When I talked to our open space director and one of our county attorneys about it, we had the gut check of 'This is not the sort of use we want to encourage.' ... We just didn't feel it was appropriate to a family show."

http://www.timescall.com/news/ci_2630279......st-woman

What next? Are they going to tell a glass eater that he/she is not getting enough vegetables?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Another case of "MINORITY" RULE~!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
She wasn't hurting anyone was she ! If she wasn't worried about it why should others force her to stop. I have a friend in the UK who is a clown, believe it or not the authorities have stopped him from using a bubble machine stating that its dangerous. It could make the floor slippery and a child could fall as a result, madness or what !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, george1953 wrote:
She wasn't hurting anyone was she ! If she wasn't worried about it why should others force her to stop. I have a friend in the UK who is a clown, believe it or not the authorities have stopped him from using a bubble machine stating that its dangerous. It could make the floor slippery and a child could fall as a result, madness or what !

George,

You are fortunate to live on a small island, probably isolated from the far-progressive-left politics of Boulder. They did it because it bothered their sensibilities. Nothing more, nothing less. Boulder has more laws limiting peoples freedoms that any other city in Colorado. And if you made the statement "She wasn't hurting anyone was she" in Boulder, you would probably hurt someone.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
The politics get to the island as well, tourism is way down this years so in their wisdom, the council have banned live music. And you can't have people on your terrace talking after midnight. This in an island with temperatures in the night 80s and humidity is often 94/95% who wants to sit inside ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Several years ago, Cincinnati banned "human oddity" shows after a 600lb. fat man died during the Hamilton County Fair.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
35 years ago Chicago wouldn't allow Otis Jordan, no feature oddities.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Update...

Quote:
Colorado State Fair to include "Little Liz" show
The Associated Press
POSTED: 08/14/2014 09:59:07 AM MDT

PUEBLO, Colo. (AP) — A sideshow claiming to feature the world's smallest woman will again be included at this year's Colorado State Fair.

"Little Liz" has appeared at the fair several times but her show at the Boulder County fair was shut down last week after some complaints.

State fair general manager Chris Wiseman told the Pueblo Chieftain (http://bit.ly/1puqAz4 ) that this is how the 29-inch woman from Haiti makes her living and he's not going to judge that. He hasn't gotten any complaints about the show over the years and says it's up to fairgoers to decide whether to go to the show or not.

http://www.denverpost.com/westernroundup......liz-show

With all this adverse publicitiy, I bet she takes a bigger nut then she ever has.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Good for him
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Boulder County Fair shuts down 'World's Smallest Woman' exhibit (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL