The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mastermindreader and everyone else. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
This guy gets on my nerves. Honestly. He's new here and seems lazy by asking supposedly weighty questions that are easily findable by doing a little research.

We are a giving bunch - especially Bob - but maybe slow down the big open ended hailing all frequencies questions. Why not join in others questions and conversations more - research and read older threads and slow the f down 😀

Speed reading - speed mentalism - slow down man. It's good to have ambition but knowledge takes time and patience.

Ever - I'm not trying to rag on you but in the last month you keep posting these very generalized posts. Ugh.

Not trying to rag on him? Really? Saying he gets on your nerves and saying he seems lazy, it sounds like you are.

If he bugs you - and he clearly does - don't read his posts. He's new, enthusiastic and probably trying to inflate his number of posts. He's not the first and won't be the last. At least he's not negative.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:

I think effects that try to turn book tests into personal memories etc seem illogical and rather contrived.

I agree. Besides, if you ask someone to think of a word that's emotionally relevant to them, particularly a woman, there are really very few words that you'll get regularly. "Love" would be at the top of the list. (In fact you can use that as a psy choice for the entire audience- "I'm going to project a four letter word to you...no, NOT that kind of word..." Almost half the audience will get "love.")

What I want in a book test is a difficult word. In other words, I like to keep the "test" in a "book test."

I also tend to stay away from the trend of trying to make mentalism into a "life changing experience." Just not my style at all.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
Personalised questions to Bob now is it, and the rest of us lumped together as "everyone else"!

Fine. Be like that. Smile

Smile
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Here's a good reason to use book tests...

They kill.

Just got back from a show a couple of hours ago. There was a audible gasp from the audience with the reveal.

What else could you possibly want? Emotional relevance???

Best to all,

Scott
Wyatt
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Wyatt
On the subject of emotional relevance, I think it should usually be *there*, but only on occasion should it be overtly brought up. Emotional relevance could be something as simple as asking someone to think of the name of a close friend, as opposed to just thinking of a random word--it adds significance in a way that may not be directly addressed, but still connects to the participant in a more effective way.

Having said that, I feel like book tests are one of those types of effects that are difficult to present without making it look like a puzzle. I could see a book test playing very well as a memory demonstration, but in my opinion as a mind-reading stunt it seems like a bit of a compromise. The issue here (and also the reason why, as the others said, trying to inject emotional relevance would be rather incongruous) is that the participant doesn't know what their options are. In a conventional book test, the participant chooses a word from whatever words the book happens to contain, so their choice probably doesn't hold much significance. (Bob's suggestion of using a dictionary can alleviate this--here, at least, the whole point is that the participant can go for literally any word they want. That, and the fact that a dictionary is a rather universal object, not just an arbitrary book introduced by the performer.) It may come off too much like a puzzle because instead of leaving the audience to wonder how the performer divined the participant's thought, it leaves them to wonder how he knew what was in the book. A book won't fade out of the audience's memory quite like some other typical mentalist props would. I mean, I know most audience members wouldn't care, but...eh, I would care as the performer. To me the use of a word from a book just seems like a step that can distract from more interesting areas of demonstration.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
Today, I carry a pocket dictionary with me almost everywhere - Langensheidt(?). It's about the size of a deck of cards and has a plastic yellow cover. I started using this same dictionary about 15 years ago or so. Stopped performing regularly for many years, then picked it up again and found the word memorization came back to me in a week. I just say I'm increasing my psychic vocabulary and ask if they can help. Would you mind reading the first word on the page? It's probably the easiest and funnest thing I do right now.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:

Having said that, I feel like book tests are one of those types of effects that are difficult to present without making it look like a puzzle. I could see a book test playing very well as a memory demonstration, but in my opinion as a mind-reading stunt it seems like a bit of a compromise. The issue here (and also the reason why, as the others said, trying to inject emotional relevance would be rather incongruous) is that the participant doesn't know what their options are. In a conventional book test, the participant chooses a word from whatever words the book happens to contain, so their choice probably doesn't hold much significance. (Bob's suggestion of using a dictionary can alleviate this--here, at least, the whole point is that the participant can go for literally any word they want. That, and the fact that a dictionary is a rather universal object, not just an arbitrary book introduced by the performer.) It may come off too much like a puzzle because instead of leaving the audience to wonder how the performer divined the participant's thought, it leaves them to wonder how he knew what was in the book. A book won't fade out of the audience's memory quite like some other typical mentalist props would. I mean, I know most audience members wouldn't care, but...eh, I would care as the performer. To me the use of a word from a book just seems like a step that can distract from more interesting areas of demonstration.

A case of over thinking.

It kills. That's all I have to know.

Either a piece works or it doesn't. It fits or it doesn't. It's consistent with your premise or it isn't.

The audience loves your performance or they don't.

What more do you have to know?

Best to all,

Scott
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I also used to use a dictionary of American slang. It was filled with rude words guaranteed to offend! (This was, however, only used in my biker bar shows.)

Slightly off-topic, but I remember finding such a book in my school library in my senior year, and it contained some incredibly left-field suggestions. We had a good laugh and now, 12 years later, a friend of mine still occasionally brings up 'The Marquis of Lorne' (apparently rhyming slang, according to the book).

As for emotional attachment in a book test, if you MUST create such a situation, make it your (the performer's) emotional connection to the book. When I was using D0ub1e Vi5i0n on stage, I talked about how it was the funniest guidebook I'd ever read (which is true, proven by reading a paragraph to the audience), and that it had guided me on some of my own memorable travels with a friend through Europe. The nature of the book means it can be used a number of ways, some of which don't logically connect with the "He's memorised the book" theory.

Relating emotionally with your audience is not always a case of breaking in on their stories. Sometimes it is about inviting them into YOUR story.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well the "memorizing the book" theory only becomes a possibility when a page number is called out by a participant. In tests that allow a book to be opened anywhere without a page number being called out, that problem doesn't exist. (In MOABT, for example) Likewise, no page number is called out in my versions of the dictionary test- they open it anywhere they like while the book is in their possession.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Yes, that was what I was alluding to Bob. Some items in the test I named work off the page number, other parts work on a different system.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I wonder if Roger Mellys Profanisaurus would be a good book to use on the Biker bar circuit?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, gypsyfish wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
This guy gets on my nerves. Honestly. He's new here and seems lazy by asking supposedly weighty questions that are easily findable by doing a little research.

We are a giving bunch - especially Bob - but maybe slow down the big open ended hailing all frequencies questions. Why not join in others questions and conversations more - research and read older threads and slow the f down 😀

Speed reading - speed mentalism - slow down man. It's good to have ambition but knowledge takes time and patience.

Ever - I'm not trying to rag on you but in the last month you keep posting these very generalized posts. Ugh.

Not trying to rag on him? Really? Saying he gets on your nerves and saying he seems lazy, it sounds like you are.

If he bugs you - and he clearly does - don't read his posts. He's new, enthusiastic and probably trying to inflate his number of posts. He's not the first and won't be the last. At least he's not negative.

I don't know what is it with him.
But yes, if you have a problem with me, simply don't read my posts.

Thank you for all of you that answer my question, I'm planning to add a book test as a closer in my show.
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
Look mom, I have
1534 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
Personalised questions to Bob now is it, and the rest of us lumped together as "everyone else"!

Sorry that will not happen again Martin.. And everyone else. lol just kidding
Professional mentalist and digital artist for mystery performers. check out my work at www.facebook.com/EverElizaldeArtStudio
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, Ever Elizalde wrote:
Quote:

Sorry that will not happen again Martin.. And everyone else. lol just kidding

I can take my "lumps"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mastermindreader and everyone else. (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL