The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Reader's Manifesto (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Has anyone read this book by BR Myers? It's really fascinating. Myers basically deconstructs the prose and purpose of much of the 'award-winning', 'highly-acclaimed' fiction of the past several decades and exposes it for the pretentious attempts at profundity it really is. His attacks range from Annie Proulx to Cormac McCarthy to Don DeLillo, among so many others. His rants are made engaging and entertaining through his humor, precision of speech, and detailed analysis (he often directly quotes passages from these so-called 'masterpieces' and proceeds, step by logical step, to show exactly why the writing is just plain bad, or often incomprehensible).

A form of his arguments has been stewing in my mind for years, although I never had the nerve to put it as lucidly and intelligently as he does. The obsession of modern fiction with 'form' has led to the deterioration of good story-telling, engaging themes, and, well, 'form'. If you want to know why many others, and I would opt for a book by P.G. Wodehouse or Kurt Vonnegut or (on heavier days) Vladimir Nabakov over any prize-winning recent best seller, the reasons are in this book. Anyone who's read (or not read but is interested in) the book care to air their opinions?
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Who is BR Meyers? I did not know deconstructionism was something new in literature. As more of a fan of Italo Calvino, PKDick, Umberto Eco I can't claim any familiarity with recent pretentious writing. The OLD Kurt Vonnegut Jr books were fun. How is his more recent material? Are Thomas Pynchon and William Burroughs still considered good writers?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
A condensed version can be found here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/07/myers.htm
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Reader's Manifesto (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL