The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What is better (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danbastianelli
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of danbastianelli
Sorry if this is the wrong forum

I would like to put either on of these two effects in my cabaret show. Either the gypsy balloon by Tony Clark or a single needle by Wayne houchin. Which one do lay people enjoy more?
Thanks
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Just a noobs experience, but I would lean toward Gypsy Balloon in a cabaret setting because it seems to play a bit bigger on stage IMO. However, it boils down to who you are as a performer and character. Which effect fits the story or theme you are trying to project? That is the most important answer.

Hope this helps.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Wayne is brilliant but...If there is eating going on, some people (like myself) are intolerant of Magic that uses the mouth.

Unless you are a great actor, I think writing your own material would be better for the Gypsy Balloon.
I've seen someone else doing Tony's material and it came off schmaltzy (especially after the goofy stuff he was doing moments before LOL). Find a patter line that suits you.

-Mary Mowder
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I agree with Mary.
AlexanderS
View Profile
New user
Austria
16 Posts

Profile of AlexanderS
First of all both of the effects are really great if performed right. But in a cabaret show I would go for the Gypsy Ballon by Tony Clark for a few reasons:
1.) Like Mary said if there are people eating while you're doing your show, it is not really acceptable doing tricks with your mouth - imagine Tom Mullica would show you his famous cigarette routine while you're sitting there and eat your dinner. A complete no-go in my opinion! Smile

2.)A Single Needle is too small for stage. In a show you always want to amaze the whole room and not just the front row. Anyway what I am trying to say is simply that hardly anyone 6-7 feet away from you can see the needle. This leads us to my third point:

3.) The Gypsy Ballon is far more visual than A Single Needle! Remember you can't let the whole audience confirm that the needle in your mouth is gone, it would simply take too much time, plus some might start thinking that you simply put it away while you went into the audience.

However you have to decide for yourself which one you would like to perform, but please no matter if you go for A Single Needle or the Gypsy Ballon come up with your own performance so it really fits your style. As a result you will feel comfortable and you can just focus on entertaining! (Y) Smile

Your's,
Alexander
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well! Michigan magicians honored me with their Michigan Magic Day "HALL OF FAME" award, last year, so I must note that "mediocre_magic's" comment is right on. (He is a Michigander!( Generally apeaking, it's YOU who present, and "make" the trick entertaining to an audience! The trick must fit your personality! It helps a lot if the effect (what the spectators see--or think they see) is appropriate for them and the situation.

--This leads right in to what Mary said. (Scroll up and read it again!)

IDK 1KG (!!!) but he agrees with Mary, too.

I am especially happy to hear AlexanderS's comments. He's new to our motley crew. He's just 15! His English language skills are great. "What he says" indicates that he has "done his homework"! No doubt his dad's experience and knowledge (plus wisdom!)has helped him, but, it's obvious that he has done some serious thinking, too. Good!

Only one thing puzzles me! Alex finished his post with a "(Y)", Ich kann nicht verstahen!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
AlexanderS
View Profile
New user
Austria
16 Posts

Profile of AlexanderS
Thank you! But I'm 18 ;P
Haha yeah did my homework because I only read about ten to twenty books in german and the rest have all been in english, that's where I learnt most of my english Smile
:
Anyway I'm glad that I was able to help you! For which effect did you go?

Your's,
Alexander

P.S.: (Y) - Is a thumb up smiley Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Danke! AlexanderS~ (I have now used up my vocabulary in Deutsche!)

I have become ein Alte! (82) I read your post, and brief biography. I remembered the "15" and not the "18"! (Excuse me a moment...ah..Who am I,and what am I doing here?, are you the person to whom I am speaking? etc.!) A year ago, I was 81 (the opposite of 18!!!) It's a good thing that I've retired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. hee hee

I must say, your English is much better than my German! Of course, the late Charlie Miller would never approve of your last sentence above ("...FOR which effect did you go?") Charlie always made a 'thing" of using prepositions at the END of a sentence! In starting the Misers Dream, he would say, "I'm about to take a collection UP. Some of you may have noticed that I used a preposition to end that sentence WITH. That is because speaking good English is what I am very fond OF!" Charlie and winston Churchill would have gotten along, just fine! ("Up with which, I shall not put!"

Also, Merci beacoup for the "translation" of (Y)! --This "new language", brought about by texting, is proving to be a challenge to this old geezer!

I shall look forward to any posts you care to make. It's a delight to converse with a young man who has "done his homework", and can express himself so well.

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc--and soon to be certified an official quacksalver.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2014, AlexanderS wrote:

2.)A Single Needle is too small for stage. In a show you always want to amaze the whole room and not just the front row. Anyway what I am trying to say is simply that hardly anyone 6-7 feet away from you can see the needle. This leads us to my third point:

3.) The Gypsy Ballon is far more visual than A Single Needle! Remember you can't let the whole audience confirm that the needle in your mouth is gone, it would simply take too much time, plus some might start thinking that you simply put it away while you went into the audience.

Your's,
Alexander

First up I do agree with Alexander and what his whole post says is spot on. However I just wan to put some notes on what has been said.

You can make single needle work as a palour act. I use chunk needle for leather sewing and thickish thread. With a spot light shining on the needle and the shadow created help. Also your actions and the volunteer reactions helps as well. I did to a crowd of 100. and it worked I will admit it did need pushing to the back.

What you say about Gyspy Balloon is spot on and iwould probaly chosse that one. but one thing some gigs I do are in small venues with not much back stage/ green room space. So the idea single needle what sit in my pocket ready to go rather then get a ballon set up somewhere so it wont pop or get tapered with is something I would think of.

Like I say these are just note but yeah I would go with Gyspy Balloon. But before you buy one it really dose come down to the right presentation and with these great effects I think you do need to put your own spin on these. So sit down review your act so far and brain storm you might find that neither of them work. Or get both then you have a choice.

I have said a lot that means very little,
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What is better (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL