The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help. How to drill a hole. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I need to punch a hole in the side, about a half inch. Drill bits I have tear it out. It’s too thick for Knifes and razor blades, scissors etc. I’m thinking laser, but don’t have one.
I made 100 and need to make 200 more, I used a hole punch and slid the tube over a large wood dowel. That took a couple days and tough on my hands.
Any ideas.
It is a Mailing Tube, 6"L x 2" Diameter x 0.06 Wall Thickness

Thanks Dave

Click here to view attached image.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
What kind of drill bit did you use? Spade? twist? hole saw?
The method you used sounds like what I would have recommended.
Look at some of the hole punches further down the page here
http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/tools.html
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
This might be a bit extreme for cardboard, but how about a chassis punch. http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-91201.html
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have tried all the drill bits mentioned by Raven, they all tear out. Also my hole punch is from Harbor Freight, a real one in a 2 ton press(which I Have) may be a solution.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Part of your problem is that there is no backing support. I've done this kind of thing many times with flat stock, such as a square tube that needed a hole drilled in the side after it was already constructed. Trying to drill through will often result in tear-out.

You will need to find something that can be used as a support on the inside. Because you are dealing with a curved surface, you will need to find another curved surface that is a close in size the inside diameter as possible. A large dowel, a piece of PVC pipe, etc. In order to brace this, you will need to have a piece that will extend out both ends of the tube you are wanting to drill. Then, support these ends so the piece you are drilling only contacts the supporting piece inside.

I would use a Forstner bit on a drill press, as it will drill a cleaner hole. You can do this with a hand drill, but you'll have to be careful to keep everything aligned. I might also start drilling the hole before using the support, if it helps start the hole. Just don't go too far in until you have the support in place.

The more pressure of the piece against the support, the less chance of tear out. The last part of the hole before you break through should be done with as little pressure from the bit as possible. Let it cut away as much material as possible before breaking through.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Michael,
I do have a dowel that is just a little smaller in size. and I still get tear out.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey Dave,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZjIonzpdGA&feature=youtu.be

If you don't have a router table, bring them by the shop one day and I will rout them for you.

Nick
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Nick,
You are amazing. I just set up my router table and used PTFE for stop blocks, works great and very little tear out, about the same as a hole punch.

Thanks Dave
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
OK, that's awesome, Nick! I can make use of your idea.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Thanks guys, I am thrilled that I could be of some help!!!

Nick
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
A bit of masking tape on the inside may help with the tearout. It works well when cutting wood.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help. How to drill a hole. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL