The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 2" vs. 3" Monte Discs? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I've got a 3" Monte disc set, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with a 2" set?
Are the 2" discs better in any way? ... Different?

Is the hype more deceptive with smaller discs? ... Easier?

Al's got some very nice 2" sets that are tempting me Smile
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Hi, Silverking:

I own a set of Nicholas Johnson's 3" disks and Al's 2" disk set with the dollar coin embedded in one of the disks. I really thought my 2" set would be more of a "novelty" set for me, but I found I started practicing with them and using them more than the larger set. I have smaller hands, and they are easier for me to "hype". I have a more comfortable grip with them. They are also more compact in your pocket. I also discovered that the added weight of the metal coin made it easier to keep track of the "money disk".
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Thanks Leo, I think the weight brings an entirely new element to the Monte discs, one that (for those who've ever "lost" the money disc in the heat of the moment) shouldn't be underestimated.
I've got a set of NJ's discs as well.

It was actually the weight "tell" that brought me to looking at getting some new 3" discs from Al ... and then I saw his 2" discs and started thinking I might like a smaller set.

Anybody else have any experience with Al's 2" discs?
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Actually the NJ disk are 3-1/4” and I do make the 3-1/4 disk on request at the same price as the 3” disk..

I just found that the 3” & 2” disk worked better in size, if you want to do other sleights, like a false disk turnover.
This can be done when the player would pick the money disk. After the false turnover you would give them another chance.
The disks are picked back up and a middle disk hype is done and they will be be wrong again.
The disk that was the money disk that you did a false turnover with is now a blank disk. Everything now will look right when the disks are all turned over.
Having the same textured surface on both sides of the disk brings this feature to be able to do the false disk turnover.

The 2” disk is very easy to do the false turnover. The 3” takes a little more practice to look good.

The middle disk hype works very good with the false turnover. I hope to get some free time to show it on a video along with the false turnover.

I think all the disk sizes work fine once you get use to the size in throwing them with some practice.

Here are all the disk sizes I make now: 2”, 3”, 3-1/4 and 3-1/2”

The most popular selling disk are the 3”, 2”, 3-1/4 and a few 3-1/2” in this order.

You can do more sleights with the 2” disk..

All the original money disk were weighted, so you always knew where the money disk was. It was a added operation to do it, so I decided to drop doing it.
Just going with a metal insert will do the same. I can make the money disk weighted with the plastic insert if requested for a little extra charge. As it is a extra operation to do.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Great info ... thanks Al.
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
I have both 3" and 2" disk sets from Al. I love the quality in all his products. Use them both. You can do the same things with either set, but it is very easy with the 2" disk. Also more compact in your pocket. They are the very best disk out there, either one.
Great customer service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 2" vs. 3" Monte Discs? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL