The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interesting Opportunity in Southern California (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I just got a fascinating e-mail offering me an interesting opportunity. I don't have all of the details yet, but the synopsis is this:

I would lease a cart in Downtown Disney, perform magic for the guests there, and sell magic supplies to the children and parents.

Because I work full-time I wouldn't be able to do this all myself, but I would consider working with other magicians. To be honest, It'll be a hard-sell to my wife either way, but I'm willing to try.

If anyone here would be interested in this, please reply or send me a PM. In the interim, I'll get all the details I can.

Thanks! This could prove to be a lot of fun!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Hey s2000,

Great idea. Might be a really hard sell tot he wife, and disney! Disney already has a magic shop and I don't know if they'd allow a competeing cart to be leased in their facilities.

I have always thought about leasing a booth at a renaissance fair, those places are gold mines.

Scott- Doc
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
S2000,

Main question you have to ask yourself is are you a pitchman and not magician. A pitchman make money, a magician entertains.

I thought Disney already had this type of magic sales on a cart already. I think I read years ago where David Williamson did something like this. It may have not been him because I know he also worked for the Magic Masters company.

It is no cakewalk a lot of work in the heat.

Bill
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
That sounds great.
I am interested in hearing more although I do have a full time day job (mon-fri, 8-5). I could be available evenings now and then or some weekends.
I know they have the Main St. magic shop but something like what you mention at downtown Disney could really be a lot of fun and be a big hit.
Good luck with it.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Well, it seems that they want the cart operating from opening till closing seven-days-a-week. That's 12 - 14 hours-a-day, every day. I couldn't do that if it were a goldmine, and I got some unsolicited testimonials that it would not likely be a goldmine.

Sigh.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hi Guys,

You know I used to work at the Disneyland magic shop for about two years. The main thing with Downtown Disney that you guys are going to hate is performing outside when it gets cold and also when it gets in the upper 90's.

The hot temperature thing is a pain because the whole place is concrete and unlike Disneyland, it has very little vegitation to hide away under. Disney will probably have control over what you wear and then when it gets really hot they call a "code 90" which means you can now roll up your sleeves or take your coat off.

Even if they don't have control over what you wear, it sucks being outside in the rain. These are all things I experienced while working at the park. But you know what? I had more fun at that job than anywhere else.

I didn't get a lot of gigs through it though because the whole place is geared for tourists from out of town. If I was in the area (which I am only once or twice a month) more often I'd love to help out. I say go for it. You'll have a blast!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
If anyone else here is interested in pursuing this, I have the contact information; PM me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Interesting Opportunity in Southern California (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL