The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Culling a Card Near the Face of Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I love the Invisible Deck as the majority of people do, but I recently re-visited Michael Close's Invisible Deck routine on his Workers Vol. 1 DVD. He uses a regular ungimmicked deck but certain procedures are incorporated. After the unforced chosen card is announced by the spectator, you must cull this (one) card to the bottom of the deck.

The scene is that you are looking at a face up deck. If the chosen card is right at the beginning (like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc card), how do you cull it?

I've looked through my Card College book and culling an early card choice is not addressed.

I tried working this out myself but I can’t get it.

Any suggestions or able to point me in the right direction?
Should I post this in the Inner Sanctum?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Maybe if you see it in say the first half dozen cards or so, why don't you just give the deck a quick cut to centralise it?
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1947 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The card position does not present any difficulty.

Start with the face-up cards towards you while spreading the first 5 or 6 top cards... If the selected card is the first one, push it onto the other hand, then spread the other cards on top of it and leave it at the back when closing the deck. Alternatively a one-card pass will do and is very easy.

If the card is second, or among the very first ones, cull as usual though you may have to adapt slightly your cull. Frankly, a bit of trial and error will get you there.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Daren & Claudio,

You both have helped immensely & given me food for thought.
I am not a 'finger-flicker' or expert at cards but thanks to your suggestions, I think I can devise a comfortable method.

Thanks again - both of you!
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, Daren wrote:
Maybe if you see it in say the first half dozen cards or so, why don't you just give the deck a quick cut to centralise it?

If you're going to cut the deck, why not cut the card to the back and be done with it?
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I like Michael Close ID. But I simple do it with all the cards facing down. And just cut to the card or control it until its at the bottom. And then do a half-pass to flip it over while throwing some patter around lol. And then another cut. And then flip over the deck for to show the one card flipped over. And I've done that trick with a lot of people burning my hands or around me.
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of joogy
Hi,

Do you really need a fairly new pack of cards to cull them? I'm struggling to slide the cards as they don't slide smoothly.
Thanks

Joogy
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, joogy wrote:
Hi,

Do you really need a fairly new pack of cards to cull them? I'm struggling to slide the cards as they don't slide smoothly.
Thanks

Joogy

It's probably harder with an old cruddy deck. You should be able to answer your own question by comparing the handling of new and older decks for yourself. Ultimately only you can decide. I find brand new decks too slippy.

Another possible problem is if you are tense and holding the cards too tight without realising.
Another problem is dry hands (which I suffer from). This makes some "easy' sleights almost impossible for me - but not culling fortunately.

Another point to consider is that if you cull several cards, the technique for the first one is slightly different from the rest. And the rest slide more smoothly. So, even when just culling one target card, some people prefer to cull an extra indifferent card first, so the target card culls smoothly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Culling a Card Near the Face of Deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL