The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Performance anxiety (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to the Café 61… Smile

Good question and some real good, real life responses here.

"Nothing to it, but to do it!" Uhhhhh, let me explain that… Smile

Anxiety calms itself down behind your doing the work. The more you try things out on people, the more comfortable you become, the more you learn. Within the concept of doing magic, there are a few things happening all at once, though you sorta learn them one at a time. First you must practice the effect and get all the moves down. Typically pattering is a part of this, so timing is something to consider in your delivery. And then a big element is your audience, you must understand THEM, what they see, how they see it, how they comprehend. You must learn to lead them, lead their thinking upon the moments.

Once you put all this together, it still takes a few times out to start to feel the appropriate dynamics of it all merging together in you. Sometimes you hit it, sometimes you don't until you learn to recognize the moments and meld all actions together smoothly toward the goal. Lot of explanation here (sorta like explaining breathing, which most people do well by simple reflex), but it all happens behind good practice and understanding of what you're doing. Once you get it, you will feel it and receive the appropriate response from specs, and most importantly, from within yourself.

I know it's a little scary but just take the plunge and learn from every encounter, good or not so good. It get's easier and before you know it you're doing it pretty much. All the while, learning a lot about the psychology of people and about yourself as well. Smile It should be consoling to know that most all of us here have been there (big, small & all), and now we're here. Smile It'll happen about that way for you too with due diligence upon a great and worthwhile journey. Smile

Again, "Welcome" and Keep Moving Forward! Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yes continual performing helps so much.
And confidence in yourself.Which only comes
with time.I think we all get that rush before
every show.But like Ben said above I feed off of it.
And enjoy that rush I get from every performance.
Todd
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Along with performing,

working on basic moves
Practicing effects
practicing routines
rehearsing
rehearsing
re-blocking
rehearsing

and taking our performances serious even if they are sometimes played for laughs
while taking ourselves lightly.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
When nervous, amateurs let the trick speed up on them. Pros are able to slow it down.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
fringeMagic
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
33 Posts

Profile of fringeMagic
Start a small set (whether impromptu or planned) with something that you consider "foolproof"; such as a simplified effect with a scotch & soda set. Even if you simply make it the vanishing of that copper coin, this will level all that adrenaline in your body with confidence and a positive (however small) response. After that, the ice is broken, the spectator/s are smiling and you have time to take control of your internal and external situation with an easy but open ended jumping off point
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
In a shot post M. R. Has brought up a great point of
s l o w Is sometimes the way to Go.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Performance anxiety (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL