The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Appearance Suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am looking for any suggestions for an appearance for my introduction. I have very limited space and the logistics of my stage make illusions difficult. I work on a boat and backstage storage space is very small. The maximum amount of space I have to bring something on and off is a width of about 36". Angles are also an issue bc the entrances to the theater are on both sides of the stage and seating is on three levels. Is there anything someone can suggest for me to look at. I've been doing this show twice a day, six days a week, for nine years. I try to mix things up and change the entire show every three months due to our repeat clientele. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Thought of this one, put your name on the side of it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX8XUx9sONE

I have not seen it live though.

Blair
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
JC Sum's Illusion, "Flash Blinded", might work.

http://illusionbookstore.com/product/flash-blinded/

You could also appear in a Blammo:

http://www.fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_078.htm

Because of the angles / sight lines, some of the Creative Magic Illusions (Shadow Tent, B Screens, Cube Squared, Victory Cubes) wouldn't work, although they are compact for travelling.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Excellent suggestion, Blair. It's a clever variation on the old Don Rose Doll House, and quite deceptive. After you show it empty and remove the "cab", the remaining box is so small there's no way it could have hidden an assistant. It's easy to stage and quite practical under a variety of circumstances (as long as you have someplace to load the assistant off-stage).
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Christopher: From your post, I thought you were looking for something to make yourself appear rather than an appearance of an assistant. If that is the case, and you are working solo, then you need something to "show itself empty" under the conditions you describe, inside which you appear. A new form of "shadow box" comes to mind, in which the box "rolls itself around" and has doors that open and shut apparently by themselves. Then a bright light appears inside, seen through the fabric walls, followed by the usual shadow emerging and you standing up and exiting the box, and finally folding it flat to get it out of the way until the next show.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

As a note I suggested the truck based on the type of show "2 shows per day, 6 days a week, 9 years" In this case there is probably a stage tech that could show it empty, maybe with not as much flair, but enough to produce the performer.

Blair
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
The truck really doesn't look that deceptive to me. I'm not sure it's exactly my style. Lol
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

What is your style within this show?

Blair
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Appearance Suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL