The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing with a bag (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
"To bag or not to bag...that is the question."

I've done it both ways.

I have a small black bag that I use for some walkabout events. It was designed to carry an iPad -- so there are three basic sections: two small pockets in the front and a slightly larger section (where the iPad goes) in the back. The bulkiest prop I carry is MOABT PE -- and all of the props COULD fit in my pant and jacket pocket.

The KEY, bagged or bagless, is to stay organized. It's important to discipline yourself to put the props back EXACTLY where you got them from in the exact right order. This saves you from patting pockets or riffling through compartments while you look for that mini Sharpie...which I think looks most unprofessional. To counter this, I'll double check the location of props with my fingertips before even beginning the effect.

I use my bag mostly in summer or when I'm doing long sets at a trade show or in a hospitality suite. In all three situations, I tend to get quite warm and some props (billets, for example) get harder to work with when they're even slightly damp...or start to look a little haggard when they've been in a pocket all day.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
David's suggestion about organisation here is a super important real world tip. Doing this stuff can be difficult enough without adding extra friction and KNOWING that you are ready to roll with your act lets you focus on the actual material and engaging and amazing the punters. Looking slightly panicked as you rifle through all your pockets mid set isn't very engaging.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
B.Clay
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of B.Clay
To repeat what's been said already - Context is Everything. I see two factors to consider. First, how much space do you need and how to keep it organized? If you only carry a few pocketfuls of props, perhaps a briefcase or messengers bag would be too big. If you choose to carry bigger items, then they would be appropriate. Second, what is the image, the character, that you are presenting as you approach an audience? If you are formal and serious, it might be one choice (as would your choice of clothes); if you are hip and casual it might be totally different. For small sets, I carry a case that looks like a book. It's about the size of a cigar box, looks like a leather bound volume, and was inexpensively purchased at a craft store. It carries all I need and gets some attention when I open my "book" and pull out a prop. (Thank you Dr. Jaks…) If I need a bigger bag, I have an old Doctor's bag to hold multiple books for a booktest. For a bizarre set I use an old beat-up cigar box with inked voodoo symbols and a saint card glued to it. Whatever you choose should be part of your set and be consistent to your presentation whenever you approach anyone. You've created an impression before you've said a word. Use your case to your advantage!

Regards,
B.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
My friend DMC has a vintage style doctors bag that he puts all his close up magician stuff in and it looks awesome, but it is very 'him' and my understanding of how he works is that he sets up and people come to him so there's no need to lug all the stuff around. I love the idea of a book or the like - it did occur to me that if you are doing tables instead of mingling then a little case like your cigar box or the book might be ideal because you can just carry it around and pop it on the table. It all depends on the context as you said.

I'm considering my kit now, I think eBay is going to take a battering this morning.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I must be missing something here. I done walk around for years and never carried a bag, book or even a box. Even when I did magic and in the few times that I really needed more props, I would just set up with a table that I stood next to. When I did that, I used a catalog case very much like this one in this link. http://t.staples.com/product_190300

Many times I worked with my twin brother and one of us would go walking around doing magic while the other did close up magic at the table. Then we would switch. We even had routines that were did together a few steps away from the table to give it a bigger feel. I did all that when I did magic tricks.

Now that I do mentalism and psychic routines, I don't see why I would need a bag or something like that. I guess that I took the idea of the less props that you used in mentalism the better, really to heart, because I don't see it like you guys. I am not trying to start trouble and have respect for all here. And think that it comes down (for me) that I am presenting a certain look and persona. As B. Clay wrote, you create an impression even before saying a word. And for me, I am a mind reader and all that I need to use is your mind and mine. Along with a pendulum, billets and small everyday things. Smile

Ray

P.S I always wanted a doctor bag...... They just look cool....
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Ray, it's good to see your thinking on the matter. We are all different people performing different stuff for different audiences in different venues, there's no reason why we should all be the same. That tends not be how it works around here but there you go.

Phill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing with a bag (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL