The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where are the Mentalists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
"All Cockatoos are psychokinetic creatures." Now this statement is logically equivalent to the statement: "All non-psychokinetic creatures are not Cockatoos."

Actually what Jack has proven is that he doesn't understand logic.

0pus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2004-01-25 16:02, 0pus wrote:
Quote:
"All Cockatoos are psychokinetic creatures." Now this statement is logically equivalent to the statement: "All non-psychokinetic creatures are not Cockatoos."

Actually what Jack has proven is that he doesn't understand logic.

0pus

Those two statements are indeed logical equivalents.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2004-01-25 16:01, landmark wrote:
John,

It's because of posts like yours that most of the real Cockatoos have left this board!

Jack
Does that mean we can now remove the newspapers from the cyber-floor of the Magic Café?

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Quote:
On 2004-01-24 15:57, Luke Kerr wrote:
The list on http://www.mentalist.info clearly states that "Uri Geller CLAIMS he has bent spoons mentally for over 20 years now"

Nowhere on that page does it say he is actually doing it for real or merely using magic tricks....

I think you're being disingenuous, Luke, and insulting our intelligence... or maybe you're just pulling our leg? The page you quote actually says:
"Uri Geller claims he has bent spoons mentally for over 20 years now. Magicians love to demonstrate "How" he does it, using a form of sleight-of-hand. Just because magicians can duplicate it, does not mean that is how Uri Geller is doing it. In this day and age with the technology we have available to us, if Uri was using sleight-of-hand instead of Mentalism and mental ability, I am sure he would have been exposed long ago, and not just by a two bit magician riding the coat tails of a legend."

Quote:

On 2004-01-25 00:48, Brandon wrote:
I think that it speaks VOLUMES that Dream2me has not responded since her initial query.
Nor do I blame her.

No wonder most everyone has gone 'elsewhere' to play.

Brandon

I'm disappointed in the direction this thread has taken. I hope she's persistent about wanting to learn and understands that there are many folks here who remember what it was like to be a newcomer and who are willing to nurture beginners who demonstrate a passion for learning, a sincere respect for our art and a desire to participate in and contribute to the discussion. This forum is still about "Magicians Helping Magicians."

Come back, Christina! Smile

DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
Neal Roter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Neal Roter
You wrote,"I am not interested in reading books". Any reason why?
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Jack,

While I think the proof for psychokinetic cockatoos is non-existent, there is, apparently, at least one telepathic parrot. See the article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3430481.stm

According to the article, "In an experiment, the bird and his owner were put in separate rooms and filmed as the artist opened random envelopes containing picture cards.

"Analysis showed the parrot had used appropriate keywords three times more often than would be likely by chance."

So, there you go...

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Everything I used to deny could happen is now happening.

Jack
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Long live to Luke Kerr and to the list on http://www.mentalist.info !

Does Geller bends spoon with his mind? YES.

Do Mentalists use their intuition, ESP or whatever in addition to what you could call "tricks"? YES!

Do skeptics deny anything they cannot explain? YES!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Does Geller bend spoons with his mind? No.

Do mentalists use "intuition, ESP, or whatever?" Of course. It's called psychology.

Do skeptics deny anything they cannot explain? Not necessarily.

Do some mentalists's egos thrive on the fact that there is a cultural pathology by which many audience members believe that they have supernatural powers, because they desperately want to believe in such phenomena?

Oh, you'd better believe it.

[quote]On 2004-01-25 19:56, DaveS wrote:
Quote:
This forum is still about "Magicians Helping Magicians."
DaveS

Yes, but what do "magicians" have to do with bona fide psychics, psychokinetics, and the like? Magicians, indeed. Hmph! Reducing it to mere trickers. Now, does anyone have a good keybending resource?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
[quote]On 2004-01-27 13:19, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-01-25 19:56, DaveS wrote:
Quote:
This forum is still about "Magicians Helping Magicians."
DaveS

http://www.mentalist.info

Yes, but what do "magicians" have to do with bona fide psychics, psychokinetics, and the like? Magicians, indeed. Hmph! Reducing it to mere trickers. Now, does anyone have a good keybending resource?

Touche! Smile

BTW, it seems that Mr. Kerr has deleted his posts and deserted this thread.

Also, the web site Mr. Kerr directed us to in his posts:
http://www.mentalist.info

is linked to:
http://www.mentalist.com, a site promoting Gerry McCambridge's TV show -- "The Mentalist."

Seems like an odd juxtaposition of sites (and viewpoints)?
Smile Smile

DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Some people have a vested interest in perpetuating mistaken beliefs. Personally, I think mentalism can be very entertaining without actively promoting a faulty world view. That's for each performer to decide for himself.

Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
If you won't allow a door to be left open to the possibility there may be things we do not yet fully understand, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Also, no performer who is not running a cult of some kind is actively promoting anything except the entertainment of his audience. You may feel a certain performer should be more or less honest about what his performance consists of, and that is a point of contention and debate, but please don't assume there are entertainers who rub their hands with glee at the notion of actively promoting a metaphysical agenda.

/bamba
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where are the Mentalists? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL