The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best resources for cups and balls (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
I feel like there is already a post about this, but I've searched the Café and sadly, I cannot find what I am looking for. I wanted to know the best resources for learning cups and balls magic. I'm looking specifically for books but DVDS and other mediums are welcome as well. I would also like the entire book to be entirely about cups and balls or at least be a long section of said book. Thanks to all!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
If you can find a copy of Michael Ammar's "The Complete Cups & Balls," that is absolutely the best book resource for the cups and balls. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but I don't think it is all that rare. I got a copy used.

There is also the two-DVD set by the same name put out by L&L Publishing, which is also outstanding, but I do love the book.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2014, DrewPett wrote:
I feel like there is already a post about this, but I've searched the Café and sadly, I cannot find what I am looking for. I wanted to know the best resources for learning cups and balls magic. I'm looking specifically for books but DVDS and other mediums are welcome as well. I would also like the entire book to be entirely about cups and balls or at least be a long section of said book. Thanks to all!

Really? You couldn't find over a hundred threads on this topic? Really? How depressing for you.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
To tomsk192,
whoa man, no need to get sassy. I highly apologize that my searching skills are not as good as yours. I went searching through the forums and used the search bar and any way I knew to look and, no, I "really" couldn't find any answers that accurately satiated my appetite for answers. Really. I suppose it is a depressing event, but I am glad that the magic Café is such a great resource for these answers, so I will continue to search for more threads as well as check this one regularly.
To Ray,
Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful response. I will most definitely try to find the Michael Ammar book! Thank you again!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
For books I recommend Michael Ammar's Complete Cups & Balls.
You can get it in Ebook format now.
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......orum=115

The thread below is for DVDs
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......orum=115
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Michael Aamar's book and DVD cover exactly the same material.
An excellent resource.
Hudson
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Also Hocus Pocus Jr isn't bad! Fun to read and has the basic pointers.

:-)

Hudson
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I would recommend both Michael Ammar and Bob Whites dvds on the cups and balls. I own both of these and would highly recommend them both. Ammar covers a lot more material, while Bob White sticks with the basics but goes into a lot more detail which can be really helpful when starting.

Overall, I would recommend White first, so you can get the basic moves down with the added detail in the instruction and then add the Ammar dvd's if you feel the need for more. If I had to pick only one, I would personally go with White, he will teach you fewer moves, but you will have what you need and you will learn details of good technique that others overlook.

You may also want to check out an upcoming effort by Master Payne. there is a thread about it just a few lines down on this same board "ever so slightly" here is a quick link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Drew,

Good luck perusing the Cups and Balls; below are two links to get you started here at the Café. I find it better to search the Café via Google…

Learning Cups and Balls…
http://tinyurl.com/lzbvmns

Cups and Balls…
http://tinyurl.com/lnmbtwg

Good Luck,
Bruce
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I agree with Bruce. I always use Google to search the Café. Type in what you want to search for and also type "magic Café". Works great.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
Thank you all for the great and polite responses! Also thank you for the tip on searching the Café, it helps very much.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, 55Hudson wrote:
An excellent resource.
Hudson

Not quite. There is material in the book that is not on the DVD's. Still, the book and the DVD's are excellent resources.

Also, if you go to the cups and balls museum, login, go to the page with the downloads, and you can have the complete Hocus Pocus Jr routine as well as The McWeeney/Proverino translations of Ozanam and Guyot. These are fundamental to the cups and balls. AND THEY ARE COMPLETELY FREE!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Bill,
I have both DVD and book from Aamar and it seems they are word for word the same. I didn't go though entire text, since I acquired it after I had already studied the DVDs - I will go back and review the text; perhaps an added chapter?
Hudson
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Bill,
You are correct (no surprise!). The book includes the Bonus Chapter, with insights from a number of well-known performers. This section is extensive - 60 pages, where the DVD material is covered in 105 pages.
Hudson
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
DrewPett, I was in your situation about a year and a half ago, and I did tons of searching for instruction. In the end, yes, Ammar and White for DVDs. Both are delightful presentations in their own ways and you'll have enough basic instruction taught well to keep you practicing for years.

Good luck,
David
Hydrostevo
View Profile
New user
Stamford, England
56 Posts

Profile of Hydrostevo
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2014, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2014, 55Hudson wrote:
An excellent resource.
Hudson

Also, if you go to the cups and balls museum, login, go to the page with the downloads, and you can have the complete Hocus Pocus Jr routine as well as The McWeeney/Proverino translations of Ozanam and Guyot. These are fundamental to the cups and balls. AND THEY ARE COMPLETELY FREE!!!!

You have to check out the cup and balls museum. Learning from Ozanam and Guyot's text from the 1700's is just awesome. Also check out Ricky Jay's 'History lesson' http://youtu.be/Hgm4wZCACYg it is very cool Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best resources for cups and balls (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL