The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is my effect Original? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zbloss
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of zbloss
Hey Guys, first time posting here so be gentle!

I have been working on this effect for a few weeks now and I am not sure if it has been done before. I have scoured the internet but can not find anything close to what I have developed
This brings me to you lovely folks!
Here's the effect

A sealed envelope is introduced and given to the spectator to hold. Inside the envelope they can feel a deck of cards that is completely sealed (Plastic wrapping and American Playing Card Company seal intact).
They are then asked to think of a card and name it. Once they name it, they are instructed to open the envelope and examine the deck. (I do not touch the deck at all!!! I know it's great!) They are asked to be sure that it truly is sealed. Then they open the deck to find that there is one card reversed. The card that they named. Also it is the only blue backed card in a red deck.

The psychological force is not mine, I read it in a book...
And the idea to get the card into the "sealed" deck is not one that I came up with, but rather, I saw it in a youtube video. But I have not seen this method of getting the card into the "sealed" deck published anywhere.

Help me out guys! Is the effect 100% original even though it uses already existent methods? Or has someone seen this before?
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
A sealed deck inside a sealed envelope with one card reversed of another colored back and using the psychological force sounds AMAZING and BALLZY!! Espically if you never touch the deck! Id like to see if someone else chimes in and knows if that's original because ive never seen or read that routine anywhere.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Welcome -- and the thrill of "being creative" is yours alone regardless of whether someone else has also thought of it. This is your "creation" and may be Innovative -- I can't speak to that as card effects or not my focus.

but, it seems this effect is too busy -- almost an overkill and might lose the magic impact you desire. It is known that the human mind can only compare two thoughts at once, and that if the situation becomes too complex the viewer becomes confused rather than astonished. Also, what you follow up with if this effect does astonish?

What is the objective here? Are you performing for other magicians who might be impressed or a general audience who has never seen a sealed deck before? A magician just performed the Invisible Deck on the Today Show. Will this seem like an attempt to emulate even if it is original?

Just some thoughts from one who has created hundreds of "original" effect only to find that they do not play well for an audience.

Always ask, "what will be the story told to grandchildren?" -- then use your creative energy to that end.

Keep on creating -- just for the thrill of it. But, finding an original effect is not the key to being a successful performer.

but, asking questions is ...

so, welcome again
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Zbloss,

This sounds like a great effect! I think the impact of your effect lies in the impact of the psychological force. One thing I thought of is one of the websites (I think it is Illusionist) has a straight jacket that is for a deck of cards. That might be more powerful than a sealed envelope. If the deck is already sealed, then the sealed envelope doesn't really add to the effect. Maybe that is why funsway is saying it is too "busy". If you use something like the "straight jacket", then you can add a new dimension to the effect.

Also, something else funsway touched on: I am a big believer in learning from the entertainment arts. Movies create a plot with characters, they play with people's emotions, and they build suspense. While it can be entertaining to watch a magic show that is just bam!, bam!, bam! magic, I think people are more entertained by getting involved in a suspenseful story. It doesn't have to be a long story. Also, your plot really lends itself to that. I have heard many very successful magicians say that one of the most important things about your magic is the answer to the question "Why?". Why do you do each move you do?, and why are you doing this routine? This will add to what funsway is saying when he says: "what will be the story told to grandchildren?"

If you care to PM me with the psychological force you are using, I might have further suggestions. Is it an equivoque force? If so, how do you approach it? Do you do so in a congruous way?

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sorry, it's ellusionist.com that has the straight jacket. A very cool prop.

KJ
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Let the Entertainment Commence!
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
(I am not saying that your trick is the same as the one above - you might also want to check out the trick Shawn references in the video (never seen it myself)).
Let the Entertainment Commence!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It is an effect that has been done many time with several different working methods. So, the effect is not original. You may have an original working method, but it is impossible to answer your query without knowing the working method. My guess is that since you mention a psychological force and a method of getting a card reversed inside a sealed box that the method has been done before. Figure out a way to repeat the effect with a second deck and another card and you would really have something.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It's seductive routine and it's good thinking, but I agree with Funsway that it's little too busy.

Consider two effects: 1) Small sealed envelope tossed out in full view. Spectator 'mentally' selects a card. Opens envelope to see that performer "predicted" the card. Easy to follow and powerful.

2) Spectator removes a card freely and signs the card. Card vanishes from deck only to be found in a sealed deck of cards in the correct place in the unshuffled deck, etc. This is Shawn Farquhar (?spelling?) effect and it's freaking awesome. The effect is totally different from 1) in that it's a vanish and reproduction in a 'fantastic' place.

Both effects are better because they are as simple to follow and understand as possible. It's very easy with so much magic 'tech' and method available these days to combine stuff in a way that is good, but not best from the stand point of power, staging, etc.

Get the Dover edition of Practical Mental Effects by Annemann. I forget their title, but it's easy to figure out. Read the material, especially everything BY Ted Annemann. Whether you do any of the effects at all....try to see the why and wherefore of what he's done in each routine. It's brilliant stuff. Look at the EFFECT produced and the direct nature of his methodology.
Brad Burt
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Brad has "said it' extremely well! (Funsway, too!)

I'll just EMPHASIZE what they've said! >>>The EFFECT is more important than the METHOD!<<<
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is my effect Original? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL