The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I.S.I.S. (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My comparison is all the same things could have been said lay war.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
My comparison is all the same things could have been said lay war.

Either I had too much to drink last night, or your cellphone is possessed. Can't figure out what you meant.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could be said of the last war.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am only trying to see the difference. I don't even care I if the first time was right or wrong. Just want to hear the difference. Suddenly it is enough just to be a brutal regime. What a difference an election makes.

No. The difference is that ISIS is NOT a regime. They are rogue murderous extremists who threaten the entire Middle East.

I don't recall Saddam kidnapping and beheading American and British journalists and then televising their despicable acts.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

The comparison is that, if you don't believe that ISIS poses an imminent threat to the U.S., then we're taking military action based on false representations.

Two things:

1. If not an imminent threat, how is it that the U.S. military action is based on false representations? I just don't know what you mean, perhaps because I have not been following the news, perhaps I missed something. Is it a constitutional requirement that military action only take place to address imminent threats?

2. I do wonder what "imminent threat to the U.S." means in this context. How imminent? And is that a threat within the borders of the U.S.? Or does a threat to U.S. overseas interests good enough?

This article argues why action against ISIS is justified from an international law perspective:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree......ic-state
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am only trying to see the difference. I don't even care I if the first time was right or wrong. Just want to hear the difference. Suddenly it is enough just to be a brutal regime. What a difference an election makes.

No. The difference is that ISIS is NOT a regime. They are rogue murderous extremists who threaten the entire Middle East.

I don't recall Saddam kidnapping and beheading American and British journalists and then televising their despicable acts.

I agree Bob but it isn't just ISIS beheading people and showing to the public, for many many years now...

It's a whole belief system.

I'll stop there. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So ask the things he did we give him a pass for? Pretty convenient.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The USA wanted to overthrow the al-Assad regime. So the CIA ordered the Muslim Brotherhood to use their variously named guerilla groups to help to do so. The World Leader who is responsible for this bit of trouble is the president of the USA.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Balducci wrote:
Quote:
Is it a constitutional requirement that military action only take place to address imminent threats?

Imminence is an important criterion for making war.

(From balducci's reference above): "The use of force in the territory of another state is prohibited under the UN charter and customary international law. However, there are four universally recognised exceptions to this prohibition: UN security council authorisation (it has not acted in this case); consent of the state on whose territory the operations are conducted; self-defence; and collective self-defence."

As far as I know, any claim of self-defense has to include imminent danger.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Not that I didn't see this coming, but yesterday at drill, after our flights were done for the day, the senior leadership was looking for "potential future volunteers....." Last time I had heard that I was about 13 years ago, and I was in Afghanistan a few months later. Though the whole "boots in the air" not being boots on the ground is BS. You need lots on the ground to support the Apache helicopters currently being used around Bagdad.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The CIA are in Syria etcetera working with militants from the Muslim Brotherhood to overthrow the al-Assad regime, providing them funds, arms, training and so on. There is some infighting between the groups it seems and some have been running wild been apparently disavowed. The World Leader who is responsible for this bit of trouble is the president of the USA for making war this civil war you might call it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:

The comparison is that, if you don't believe that ISIS poses an imminent threat to the U.S., then we're taking military action based on false representations.

Two things:

1. If not an imminent threat, how is it that the U.S. military action is based on false representations? I just don't know what you mean, perhaps because I have not been following the news, perhaps I missed something. Is it a constitutional requirement that military action only take place to address imminent threats?

2. I do wonder what "imminent threat to the U.S." means in this context. How imminent? And is that a threat within the borders of the U.S.? Or does a threat to U.S. overseas interests good enough?

This article argues why action against ISIS is justified from an international law perspective:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree......ic-state

1. In the sense that the Secretary of Defense said that they posed an imminent threat to the USA.

2. Good question.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
As always, should you or any of your I.S.I.S. force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2014, landmark wrote:
Balducci wrote:
Quote:
Is it a constitutional requirement that military action only take place to address imminent threats?

Imminence is an important criterion for making war.

(From balducci's reference above): "The use of force in the territory of another state is prohibited under the UN charter and customary international law. However, there are four universally recognised exceptions to this prohibition: UN security council authorisation (it has not acted in this case); consent of the state on whose territory the operations are conducted; self-defence; and collective self-defence."

As far as I know, any claim of self-defense has to include imminent danger.

A little further in the article (around where it says "Nor is there any evidence to suggest that Isis poses an imminent threat to those states that would entitle them to rely on anticipatory self-defence to prevent an attack") it points out that nations may be justified in participating in a war even if they are not under imminent threat themselves. In particular, if they are assisting a state that is under attack that requests aid or perhaps one that is "unable or unwilling" to defend itself.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I pity the USA.

They're ***ed if they do and they're ***ed if they don't.

I say go destroy ISIS, those who have the balls do. Those who don't, beatch.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Niigata has worked with the CIA at the Jordanian base used to train Muslim Brotherhood guerrillas under the still secret joint DOD-CIA program that began in 2012. He will train-and-equip around 5,000 new Muslim Brotherhood guerrillas per year. Snipers will be used to shoot random civilians on all sides as normal to cause them fight each other. USA regular military will then go in to seize Russians oil supply under the humanitarian cloak. For some it will be murder, for the Secretary, it will just be another day in the city.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I.S.I.S. (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL