The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paranoid By Rus ANDREWS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi all

This was requested by a few so here it is... great to be back

Paranoid III

http://mydeceptiveview.wordpress.com/201......andrews/

best

R
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Rus was kind enough to send me a review copy of this. I was unaware that this was a previous release.

As I review effects and releases often, I have devised a system that I will use starting with this review and I will use it for all future reviews I do.

Here's how it will break down:

9-10/10 - This is an effect I know I will use often. All of the work has already been done. Now I just have to perform it.

7-8/10 - I like the principles and may try it out. It has potential, but I would have to work out a few wrinkles I don't like.

5-6/10 - I feel something is missing making it difficult to perform for real people or it just doesn't fit my personal style.

3-4/10 - I will never use this effect. I can tell just by reading/watching that it won't work. Either the effect is not good, the method is not good, or a combination of both. If an effect is completely unoriginal, it can also receive one of these markings.

1-2/10 - No one should ever use this effect. It's not usable in any way, shape, or form and has no potential.

Then there will be an overall average rating which is simply an average of all of the effect ratings. There will also be a production rating 1-10/10 based on how easy the teaching was to understand, how well it was written, etc.

PIP MY RIDE:
Effect: A card is selected and returned to the pack. The magician attempts to find, but it off my one number. The magician then removes the extra pip and changes the number to match, thus finding their card.

This isn't really original effect wise, but the method would work quite well. It would work best done in the off beat. Then you get to really milk the vanish of the pip and the changing of the indices. I'll probably try this one out, but I'm not sure this is better than all the other methods that are out there.

7/10

BREATHE FOR THOUGHT:
Effect: A card is selected and returned to the pack. A spectator then point to any window around them. You then go to the window and breathe on it. The fogged up window reveals the card they selected.

I really love this one. I think this is the best piece in the book. It is extremely simple to do and set up. You don't need anything extra. I had seen effects similar to this, but never really realized it could be done this simply. Plus, the selection of any window is a nice touch that makes it all the more impossible. I do think that with a little thought, you could do this completely impromptu with a drawing, or a name, or anything like that without a f***e. I will think on this. I will definitely use this.

10/10

CONTAC:
Effect: A tictac box is introduced. The last few tictacs can be given to the volunteer to eat leaving the box empty. A card is selected, the corner is torn off, you then lick the corner and stick it to the bottom of the tictac box. You have the spectator hold their hands under the box as you shake the corner off. But as you shake the box slowly, the corner begins to move around and it is now seen to be inside the previously empty tictac box. The corner matches perfectly.

I'm not a huge fan of using tictac boxes in magic, but I know a lot of people who love it. I'm not really sure how original this is. It is very very simple, but I guess that is the power in it. Will I use it? Honestly, no. It just doesn't work for me, personally. But I'm sure some people will love it. If you like the effect, then this is a great method.

6/10

BOX CHANGE:
Effect: A card is selected and lost in the pack. The magician attempts to find the card but fails. He places the card on the table and just by rubbing the card box against the card, it changes into the selection.

I am not too fond of this one for a few reasons. First of all, I don't think it's that practical for reasons I can't really get into. Let's just say, if you kept the cards in your pocket, this may become less reliable. I've never really liked using a card box to change a card. The case is over 52 times the thickness of the single card. A LOT could go on there. I just don't think that is very clean. Also, after the change, you can show both sides of the box but then you must get rid of the extra card. That involves c*****g or p*****g a card. Again, this is an effect that just doesn't fit me because I don't like the idea of using the whole box as cover, I think we need to strive to have as little cover as possible. Not the opposite.

6/10

JITTER BOX:
Effect: A transposition between signed cards.

This used the box change described above. For that very reason, you already know what I'm going to rate this.

6/10

SWITCHED:
This is actual a section of the PDF that teaches 3 one handed switches. The first one "Denial" is great! I love it and I will use it. For that reason, I have to rate it a 9/10. The second one "Admission" I couldn't understand how to do. I have no clue what is going on. For that reason, 5/10. THe last switch "Dump" is really nothing new. This switch was taught on a brad christian DVD from years back. For that reason, I have to give it 3/10.

GLITCH:
Effect: A card is selected and lost in the pack. The top two cards are turned face up and suddenly there is the selected card between them. The card is lost back into the pack, the top two cards are again turned face up and when waved in the spectators hand, the selection appears again between the two cards.

I love sandwich effects, but this one just doesn't do it for me. The fact that you use two random cards to catch the selection is strange, and the fact that the selected card appears the same way as the other two (All cards are face up) is strange as well. It makes it a little difficult to differentiate between the cards. I also don't think the second phase adds anything new at all. The moves are exactly the same, except they put the their hand over the cards. I fear the spectator will want to examine those cards before you move away. I know that I won't be performing this.

5/10

COLLARED:
Effect: A spectator thinks of any card. The magician removes a card and places it into the spectator's breast pocket. They then name their card and remove the card from their pocket. It's a joker. The joker is placed in their hands. A few moment later, the spectator looks at the card in their hand and behold, it is their thought of card. Where's the joker? It is discovered under the spectator's collar.

This reminds me of a coin under watch or coin on shoulder routine done with cards. It has very much the same feel. The misdirection is strong seeing as they are surprised that the joker changed into the card they just thought of, so you could probably get away with it. My only problem with it is that I don't understand WHY. Why is the joker found under the collar? That's very random for me. I would have to work out an answer to that question. I like the idea though.

8/10

The average score: 6.5/10

I hate that the review turned out so brutal. I wasn't expecting that. (Sorry Russ!) But my new scoring method keeps me on track and honest in my review.

Production Rating: 7/10

The production quality isn't all that great. The reason for the knock off of points is this:

1) I have no clue how to perform the second switch. The switches are taught with pictures only, this makes it a little difficult to grasp.
2) It took a bit of playing to figure out how to perform Glitch. The teaching was very obscure.
3) The front cover is very muddy. The picture is fuzzy and the words are difficult to read.

I definitely loved a couple of the effects and will get good use out of them. But there is more here that I won't perform than I will. Take that as you want. If you like the sound of the effects, you probably will not be disappointed. Don't expect revolutionary techniques or methods. It's all very simple and very bold.
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1451 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Thanks for the review Madison, like I said this was released way back when I first started writing...

Glad you got something from it..

All the best

R
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paranoid By Rus ANDREWS (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL