The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about Copper/brass coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Hi all, I've recently switched to dollar sized coins from half-dollar ones as my hands are simply way too large for a lot of effects with halves (in fact even a dollar sized coin is too small for me to backpalm) and I was wondering what coins are around that match a dollar in size yet are copper or any other contrasting colour? Old english pennies are obviously great for half-dollar sized but I can't seem to locate the equivalent so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I know Todd Lassen Had some Silver Dollar Size Brass Chinese Coins! You would have to call him and ask! But call don't E-Mail!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Man, you must have giant-sized hands. Have you tried visiting a local coin shop and seeing what they might have lying around?
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Hi guys thanks for the responses, I'll see about getting in touch with Todd (though he may be a little out of my price range, it'll be good to find out though.) Unfortunately I've never even seen a coin shop, not sure they're as common over here in the UK or at least in the areas I've lived. Oh and Ray, I wouldn't say "giant-sized" as such, though I did notice earlier when watching the inspiring Dr Rubinstein that a dollar in my hands looks about the same size as a half does in his so make of that what you will ha!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
That is indeed giant-sized!
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Haha I guess it must be. I must admit it seems to help in some areas (very easy for me to conceal a dollar or roll a dollar etc) but makes it harder in others (as I mentioned I've yet to find a coin I can backpalm with any level of success.) Thankfully as a guitarist of 26 years I'm fairly dextrous so I can perform effects with anything at half-dollar size and up (though British coins are just pointless for me - sucks when you're a Brit and can't borrow coins for very many effects.) I recently did a few vanishes and productions on a night out and had the specs burning my hands and even one sat behind my shoulder yet was easily able to hide the dollar coin from any angle even prompting my first ever "what the hell/where did it go/put I saw you put it in your hand!" comments.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Here ya go Rob, try a little of this, that or the other. Smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Peace-Sil......f6dd857f

*an even greater deal like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-New-Copper-Coi......71e1566b

or perhaps this is all you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-LINCOLN-WHEAT......95e7cb56

*PS - You might reach out to Larry Barnowksky here in the coin forum for coins a bit larger than dollar size. I seem to remember(?) him having Chinese coins that were noticeably a bit larger (not copper though). If the good doctor still has any around, I'm sure he would be willing to help you out. Tell'em Mb sentcha. Smile

Hope all this helps, and oh yeah, "Welcome to the Café." Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
As Mb listed, there are a number of copper rounds that may suit; the ones I've bought are all ~40mm, but with a little looking you may find larger ones.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
PS - And Rob, you might want to look into the Bahama $10 coin, it's 55M in size and looks great. Here's a nice comparison by a new Café member on all this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjwTIgl......fVpnNcGA

I think that Bahama coin, for your hand size, is what you're looking for here - BINGO!!!! Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question about Copper/brass coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL