The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dead-Man-Shells (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I thought this shell set called Dead-Man-Shells might be of interest to some of you,
The link below has pictures and detail.

http://4photos.weebly.com/
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Yeah, 3shells.com just keeps offering one great set of shells after another. If I was rich, I might choose to become poor here...
http://www.3shells.com/theme-shells.html
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Wow, what a fantastic variety of shell types...!
I had no idea that there are that many performing the 3 shell and usinv that many different themes. Amazing! Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I think I'd prefer the shells by Roscoe Steven's Magic Emporium is offering.

David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Al shows the underside of his shells on his site, while we don't get that view of the Roscoe shells. I wonder if there are any folks who are familiar with the workings of both who'd care to describe their take on differences regarding ease of handling. While they both have a similar look, I suspect they handle differently.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Rosco is more of the old school with shells so Id imagine that insides are in classic style. And the others have that cheater bottom that hold the pea in until you steal it.
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
240 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Can anyone provide a direct link to Rosco's shells? I cant seem to find them on the emporium
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
240 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
NM...found them....
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
I have not got these ,but did pick up a skull similar in appearance and the eyes flash and an spooky sound is heard ,the top opens's up,might well of been some sort of bizarre ashtray as it has grooves in it,may use it to ditha card out of effect,clarity type of thing for allhallows.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Dead man shells look terrific.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Mad0hatter

I have been making shells sets for over 25 years. Because of this, I am not old school. I have found new ways to improve them.
I understand that some are comfortable with the same old ways that they have always done the shell game.
This is why I make some of the classic type shells, to bring shells for everyone.

The statement you made: So Id imagine that the insides are in classic style. This tells me you haven't even used the shells you are recommending.
You would not have to imagine what they are, if you have used them.
Also to say my shells have a cheater bottom, tells me you have never used or understand what that bottom ridge really does.

The Bottom Ridge design shell is just the opposite of being a cheater bottom or a gimmick.
It takes away the cheater bottom that all other shells have. It is a fact that the classic shell bottom is a cheater bottom as soon as you move the shell with a soft ball.
That is why the ball comes out of the shell as soon as you move the shell.
There is no secret to the classic type shell. That is why they can never be examined without switching out the ball, as they would know how it is done.
The bottom ridge type shell is the only shell that does have a secret and can be fully examined without switching anything out

David; Yes the handling features are the big difference and has softer balls for easier handling.

Checks out the true added features on the site of the Bottom Ridge shell.
You will see why they are called, The shells without the clues, rules or anything to hide.

My original post was only to give pictures and details on the shells. Like size, weight, features and appearance of the shells.
If anyone has a need for more details, I am always happy to reply.
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Unfortunately I can not afford a set of any shells at this moment, I said that if I were to buy a set I would prefer Rosco's because they look better and don't have that gimmick bottom. Saying the bottom ridge is not a gimmick is a bit much as it is a shell designed to replace the skill in common practice with an item that does some or all the work for you, that is practically the definition of a gimmick. I think the real question for me would be is there anything the bottom ridge does that can not be imitated with a regular shell using some skill and is there anything you can do with a regular shell skills that cannot be done with the bottom ridge without adjustment.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
I have used both the classic shell and the bottom ridge shell. The bottom ridge shell requires much more skill, I don't see how they do the work for you, that sounds more like the classic shell to me. I must he missing something in what you are saying Madhatter.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Mad0hatter

Dictionary - gimmick
a. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.

The bottom ridge is used to make it a fair shell and when the ridge is taken out of use it becomes like a classic type shell that is an unfair shell.
This is all done without any gimmicks like the Chanin dip or the visual hole at the back of the shell. This should be easy to understand.

The bottom ridge shell can do everything the classic shell can do and much more.
There is a long list of things that the classic shell can't do.
Here are just a few.
You have to take the pea anytime the shell is moved with the pea.
If you reload a shell you cannot move it anymore or you have to reload it again.
A good example is the three skulls in one hand. As soon as you move the hand with the three skulls between your fingers the pea comes out to load another shell.
This is not that hard to figure out. Because there was not much displayed in selling it

Shuffling the three bottom ridge shells between your fingers the shells can be lifted in between the shuffling to show the pea where it is or is not and do not have to keep stealing and reloading the shells. This will look much more skillful.

The biggest thing I think is for the ones that know how the game works they will always know when you steal the pea, because you have to take it.

With the Bottom Ridge no one will ever know when I take the pea, because I will take it when you do not expect it. Because I control the shells and pea, the shells don't control me.

The proof of the pudding that the bottom Ridge are not a gimmick, they can be fully examined without switching anything out

The classic type shells cannot do this or they will see all the gimmicks to how it is done.

I think the ones that have never done the shell game before do learn how to use the bottom ridge shell easier than the ones that are already set in the ways they have been doing it
They are not hard to use, but like anything, to do something good it takes some practice.
ROSCOE
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of ROSCOE
Hi. I'm ROSCOE of ROSCOE & RoseRed, and this is only my second post here at the Magic Café. I'm delighted to see so much interest in the Old Army Game, and thank you, MadOhatter for posting the pictures of our 3 Skull Game. I'm a classic, School for Scoundrels-trained operator and have been performing the shell game for a tad more than 10 years as magic for street audiences. Consequently, if you prefer classic features in your shells, you'll most assuredly find them in ours. If you'd like to see the underside with the Chanin Dip; guide notch; nose ramp; smooth, convex threshold; and our EYE-Gore specific "hands-off sucker flash chamber," please check out the "OUR SKULLS" tab at our 3skullgame.com website. We're delighted those of you who've purchased them are enjoying your sets, and thank you so very much for your business.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Better than a dead Shell-Man.
ROSCOE
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of ROSCOE
Given the title of this thread and Hallowen's proximity, I thought I'd post a link to a video one of my players took of my 3skullgame during the Delano Ghost Tour here in Wichita on October 2nd. I was working in front of Amira's Dance Studio, reputedly one of Delano's most haunted locations. At the nine-second mark, watch the ghostly orb escape from the nearest skull. Happy Haunting! https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=682......&theater
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Dead-Man-Shells (15 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL