The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic Card Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Knikkey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Knikkey
Hello!

I tried using the search function to find an existing topic, but all the results were for coin palming. I'm learning the classic palm for card magic and it's proving to be rather difficult. I can do the palm itself, though not perfectly yet as the finger part of my hands are very thin (almost exactly the width of a card). However, I figure if I play around with angles and stuff a bit more that will prove to be a minor problem in the near future. My problem is transferring a card into the palmed position. I know of two methods: 1 is where you outjog the top card a little bit and push down on the part that sticks out and the other is a (seemingly) popular 1 handed top palm method. I feel the first method is a little risky and relies a lot on misdirection as the move looks pretty unnatural. The second method is great, but I can't do it for the life of me. I have a bit of loose skin on my thumb (even if I extend my thumb all the way, the skin is not tight) and whenever I try this method, the card gets stuck on that skin and no matter what I do, I can't get the card to continue moving into my palm. I've tried everything to get it past that part of my thumb and I just can't do it.

My question is, are there any other palm transfer techniques that you would suggest? Or should I just keep working on that first technique?
MKoeppel
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of MKoeppel
Hi and welcome

The one-handed top palm in Card College (don't know which volume as I have them not with me) is relying on the pinky rather than the thumb. I found the handling suited me rahter well.

HTH, markus
Knikkey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Knikkey
Sorry it was a little difficult for me to explain my problem with the top palm technique. When I use my pinky to maneuver the corner of the card to pop it up, the corner diagonal to the one that my pinky is on can't clear past my thumb, thus stopping the card from reaching my palm and instead remaining in an arched state.
Phoenicis
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Phoenicis
It's described in Card College volume 3 page 703.

Also, Glenn Morphew's One Handed Top Palm uses a slightly different technique that might suit your needs.
http://youtu.be/uYW2_j-v4CY
Knikkey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Knikkey
Thank you Phoenicis. I'll put that on my to-buy list Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Classic Card Palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL