The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Put-pocketing act (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
I was wondering if anyone had performed a put-pocketing act. I was watching Penn and Teller Get Killed and the scene at the airport where Teller put-pockets all over Penn in order to get the metal detector to go off. I thought this act had the potential to be really funny but I wouldn't want to alienate my volunteer, and the only picture I can get is of continually having the volunteer find new and stranger things in their pocket.

I have just ordered Eddie Joseph's book on body loading so hopefully this will give me some ideas but wanted to know if any of my seniors on the forum had any ideas or videos/resources they could point me towards.
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Body loading book is on its way. I also gave some thought to mixing the put-pocketing with your pick-pocketing. What I mean is at the same time you lift his things you load your own articles on him giving the illusion that he has been picking your pockets at the same time you have been working your butt off to get his things.

I would imagine the issue to this was how would the audience know that the items were yours. Maybe in the guise of a pickpocket demonstration in your opening script. You start by talking about the major targets for pickpockets and display your bright pink wallet, bright glasses, and few more things. In the process of taking things you continue to find your own items on the spectator as you flash them to the audience. This might be a nice way to work a pickpocket act in a situation with slim pickings in terms of removable items.
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
Body loading book has arrived and the techniques are a little bit different than I expected. Rather than simply slipping things into the pocket as a majority of so called "put-pockets" on youtube do you may or may not be put things into their pockets.

Yes you may be slipping them in using the search method in the same manor as pickpocketing, but there are also a number of techniques for creating the illusion that you are pulling things out of their pockets. The idea of loading things by resting them against their back and extricating them opened up a whole new branch of possibilities for my act.

I am going to strive to combine both pickpocket and body loading techniques to cultivate the true pickpocket magician, in whom all of the magic takes place in the volunteer's pockets. When I think of the act I see myself starting with some simple classics of magic (sponge balls, cups and balls etc) with the pickpocketing. After everyone gets the idea switch/combine in the body loading to build to a crescendo with pulling a "live" animal from my volunteers pockets similar to the final load of the cups and balls as performed by Luxor Gully Gully and later by one of my idols Mark Raffles.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Miette was diescribed by Ponsin as having made fame by body loading coins in the French cuffs of his spectators
Gary Jones produced a very nice dvd with a coin routine resorting to body loading.

Body loading can be magic, pick pocketting will always remain just egocentric skill
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
WhatWatch
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WhatWatch
I certainly take your point Lawrence, although I do feel that when you are putting the fun of the volunteer and audience above any sort of demonstration of skill it becomes magical. I would point to Christian Lindemen from Cirque du Soleil. In his act everyone seems to be laughing and having fun rather than the "gotcha" attitude in some acts.

I have order some rubber fruits, dove, and rabbit and a spring animal for putt-pocketing as well as borrowed some more risque articles for my comedy club open mic nights. Are there any other articles anyone would suggest or am I pretty solid with what I have and should just let expereince and time add to them?

Thank you as always for your help
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Put-pocketing act (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL