The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you keep your coins to be prepared for spontaneous performances (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
Thank you for all your answers and inspirations!

I am wondering how big the pockets of some of you must be =)
I'm still figuring out what is the best for me. But as the weather is turning colder now, I have to wear a jacket, which gives me a few more pockets to fill with props ;-)

Nightcrawler
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Night C

Things do "change" with the seasons.
Things like sport coats, vest, dress shirts with pockets add to the possibilities

My experience tells me I don't want to go around with bulging pockets.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have become infatuated with a "Rose Purse" like my grandfather carried back in the 50's. It is also called a "Spiral Purse" and seems almost magical by itself.

You could carry a number of coins therein and also use it in some effects. I am developing some and will put out an eBook.

Regardless, you can learn to love this thing -- and so will you spectators. Let them hold it as you extract the coins you need.

Leather and only a couple of bucks.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, Nightcrawler wrote:
Thank you for all your answers and inspirations!

I am wondering how big the pockets of some of you must be =)
I'm still figuring out what is the best for me. But as the weather is turning colder now, I have to wear a jacket, which gives me a few more pockets to fill with props ;-)

Nightcrawler

Everyday I carry just a few coins & things in my right pants pocket:

- 1 Dollar size brass Chinese coin
- 1 soft Walking Liberty half dollar
- 2 Kennedy halves
- Purse Frame

That's it! Smile That's all I need to do several tricks, including my favorite, "ReViSiTed."

Sometimes I produce coins from the purse frame (always a jaw dropper in itself), Smile other times I have them already in my hand and pluck them from maybe behind an ear, and then sometimes I just pull them out (as David mentions above) "WHEN" the time is right. Smile

Like lately, I've been doing a simple trick for people that blows them away, just turning that dollar size coin I carry into a small roll of those candy SweeTarts, we all useta love - Remember? Smile Anyway, a simple spellbound makes it happen, but it is quite stunning to specs, children and adults alike. Just love doing it for the ladies. Smile
So, today a co-worker brought her little girl in and she was quite shy, but I let her see this interesting big coin and then turned it into candy right before her very eyes. All the people around were just as amazed, but it froze her little mouth wide open in astonishment, as I handed it to her and simply said, "Happy Halloween." Smile Sometimes, it don't take much. So, just a little bit in your pocket can go an awful long way for ya. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Mb, why do you keep 1 walking liberty and 2 kennedys?

Funsway, I've never seen that design before - very clever and looks like it would open nicely to allow a spectator to select a coin for some effects...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good question David, my friend… Smile

The well-worn Walking Liberty half is to contrastingly work with the brass dollar size Chinese coin in "ReVisiTed," also when I do Spellbounds & Vanishes, or my little one coin thing, "Down The Rabbit Hole." I just like the smooth feel and handling of it in those effects. Smile

The 2 Kennedy halves are for a little coin action I open with Michael Eaton's very visual, "Splinter," then perform "Tenkai Pennies in PhD" and finish with a complete vanish of the 2 coins, or whenever I get the fun chance to do "Coin Thru Glass Door." Smile

I can do a lot but I prefer to regularly travel light, and while I do carry different coins at times to do other effects, most times a little bit (just 4 coins) does a lot and doesn't confuse or weigh you down. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, David Fillary wrote:
Funsway, I've never seen that design before - very clever and looks like it would open nicely to allow a spectator to select a coin for some effects...

and you can get coins into it and out of without apparently opening it.

gotta write that eBook
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, David Fillary wrote:

and you can get coins into it and out of without apparently opening it.

gotta write that eBook

could you post a picture of it?
Reality is a real killjoy.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Thanks! About how big is it?
Reality is a real killjoy.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2014, ZachDavenport wrote:
Thanks! About how big is it?

Here's one at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Unisex-Leather-Squ......in+purse

Details:

Leather
Leather Squeeze Coin Pouch by CTM®
Measures 2.5 x 2.5 x .5 inches
Material is genuine leather
Interior coin compartment
Soft hand

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I see they come in black and brown

If you like the idea plan on getting several. My eBook will explain how to gaff one, plus special Sleights and Moves
to take advantage of its unique design.

Consider it a "Third Hand" that can also be a "platen" and cover a coin or shot glass.

and one great advantage is that a spectator can hold it without fear they will "open their hand" before being asked.

Yup - a coin can vanish after being dropped into this thing, or have one produced after being shown empty.

It's even simple to make a "rattle" version

and handy for carrying your hearing aids and parts ;-)

working on the eBook as I speak

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you keep your coins to be prepared for spontaneous performances (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL